Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisey_gw

Will gravel inside brick patio cause a bowl effect?

chisey
12 years ago

We're going to be making some changes to our patio area, which is currently just brick pavers. We intend to keep the brick pavers, but we need to pull them up and fix the grade a little to make sure it moves water away from the house. We also want to reconfigure and use them a little differently when we do that.

Because of ant issues we've decided that around the back of our house we're going to use a 3-4 foot wide bed of decorative gravel instead of mulch, and one idea we've had with the patio is to continue that bed around the house so that there's a strip of gravel between the brick pavers and the house. I'm going to have to play with the idea a little to see if I even think it will look good, but I have a bigger concern than that.

If the soil and sand under the patio is properly graded away from the house, with the gravel tend to let water sink in more than the pavers and thus result in a bowl effect? We need water to move away from the house and I'm concerned the transition from gravel to brick pavers will hold water back, below the brick line, and therefore against the house. Is this something I should be concerned about, or will water flow under and around the brick enough that I don't need to worry about it?

If it matters, we are not going to mortar the brick. They will just be butted up against one another.

Comments (3)