Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with landscaping ideas.

Posted by Amba1027 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 10:16

I need some help with landscaping ideas for my yard. We moved in a couple months ago and now that the inside is done it's time to focus on the outside. The previous owners planted a lot of interesting things but it kind of looks like they just put things wherever. I need help with the front, back, and sides of the house so I will be posting more pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with landscaping ideas.

Here is a picture of the back. I have some other angles if anyone wants to see them. Obviously a lot of weeding needs to be done. We also want add a strip of grass that separates the planted area from the patio.

o
RE: Help with landscaping ideas.

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 11:33

Your photos only present a limited view, but I would focus on three things:
1) Maintenance
2) Definition
3) Organization

These are very general observations. There appear to be challenges to growing a healthy lawn -- too much shade? Tree debris left to accumulate? Regular water, fertilizer, mowing, and weed control could make a world of difference.

By definition, I mean the transition from lawn to planting beds is vague. If this is a vacation home in the country, maybe the natural wildness is appropriate, but in many cases a lawn will look better with a defined edge. Also, your front walk could be improved to be wider and set evenly. (In the photo it appears to be out of alignment with some sections set lower in the ground than others.)

Your planting beds can use some organization. As they are, they look like remnants of what once was a garden. I would consider how I want to view the beds, and how I would organize evergreens, flowering perennials, and so on. Then I would determine if any of the existing plants are "keepers" for my plan. If not, start fresh.

It looks like you have plenty of potential there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here