Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backyard drainage

Posted by timtex 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:33

I've posted about this before but wanted to try again. We moved into our newly built house in January. When we chose the lot, we didn't realize all the water from the house(s) behind us would run down a swale/French drain along our property line and ultimately flow onto our street. As you can imagine, this is not good, but we're stuck with it. The biggest problem is the corners of our backyard. They both had standing water, so we griped at the builder and their response was to add more dirt, which was a disaster. It not only didn't help, it made the water creep even further into the yard. (What's even more unbelievable, they actually had surveyors working on this.) After a month, I went out there and removed the sod, which had turned black, and most of the dirt they brought in. I also sloped the ground and dug a small trench toward the drain opening, which is about 12 feet from the corner. I tried covering the area with mulch, but we had some fairly heavy rain the last couple of days. As you can see from the photo, the corner of our backyard is basically a waterway that wraps around the tree there. And I am stumped about what to do. Every time the people behind us run their sprinklers, we get a massive amount of water, so much that it runs all the way from our back fence down to the sidewalk in front of our house. I don't see how grass could ever grow in the back corners, and if it did, it would be a swampy mess that's impossible to mow. I'm thinking about putting pavers or rocks down, but I don't want to do anything that will slow down the water. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backyard drainage

As with all drainage problems, the solutions lies in where the water SHOULD flow, and how it will get there. The picture above only explains where water shouldn't be retained. The lay of the land not only for your property, but all around/outside of it is what needs to be known. If the surrounding grade will show up in pictures, that's the easiest way to convey it. (These would be WIDE shots, not close-ups.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here