Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How 2 keep metal/steel edging from warping or bowing?

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 10:57

I'm about to install some metal / steel edging around what will be a decomposed granite patio. I've noticed that this edging has a tendency to warp or bow or curve where you want it to be straight. Even if you use the stakes they gave you. Does anyone have any tricks to prevent this from happening? I was thinking about buying some extra rebar stakes and alternate placing them in front and behind the edging - maybe every 2 feet and sinking them under the decomposed granite...
All thoughts appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How 2 keep metal/steel edging from warping or bowing?

it bows because of heat? or because the stakes are too far apart, or what?

I'm also thinking about installing the steel edging into DG, so am interested

o

It bows because it is probably too thin.
best advice - purchase a higher quality product / thicker gauge.

otherwise you will be fixing it with stakes all over the place to try to straighten it out.

You could pour a small concrete footing an sink it in that but why go thru the labor and expense if you can just purchase a higher quality product and have it go in straight the first time ?

o

d-d, maybe you're getting better product out west than we are in VA, but I've found that even the really high-quality, expensive edging from landscape supply yards has a tendency to bow and bulge. Luckily what I've found is this: I buy the edging at the landscape supply yard, so it's the heaviest gauge possible. Then since I'm cheap, I go to one of the big box home improvement stores and buy a bunch of extra steel edging stakes for a buck or two each. This way they're flat, unlike rebar.

o

"landscape supply yard" -- sound like a good idea. If we had one.

Lots of rock suppliers around here -- will have to investigate if there's any "supply yard" that might have steel edging

o

also try steel supplier or steel fabrication.

o

well, we do have lots of those! I will look, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here