Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie8_gw

Yard Structures

cookie8
12 years ago

I have four large structures in my yard - a deck, a play structure, a playhouse/shed, and a gazebo. They don't match in colour. I started with the gazebo which is a grey/blue and initially had the deck and playhouse somewhat match it. The paint came off the deck and I went with a much more natural tone as we have woods surrounding us - which is a light army green. The playhouse is also the same colour. I am changing the deck yet again to a dark brown/natural cedar tone which is the same colour as the play structure. The playhouse is still a natural tone. Not sure how the gazebo fits in now. Is this a who cares thing? Or should I try for uniformity? Thanks

Comments (3)

• catkim
    12 years ago

It is difficult to make judgements about color without a photograph. Are the structures close enough to all be visible together? Generally, natural tones sound very good for a woodsy setting; however, in some cases, contrast can be effective. A photo would really help.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

There are different ways to approach the issue of color.

Do you want to match the house (or the house trim)?

Do you want to match the other minor structures?

Do you want to draw attention to one or more of the structures?

Do you want to make one or more of the structures less obvious?

For the last, you may be interested in these old threads about the color of woodyoak's shed:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0616492729877.html
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0217421628064.html?22

• cookie8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All structures are in view of one another. We aren't in the country but the setting looks country. We have a large end lot. I do like the way you stated it MTO - drawing attention, less attention, etc. The gazebo is near a pool so it has a light feel to it, the playhouse is at the woods so it has a woodsy feel to it. I can match the deck and play structure and make the two tie in together at the very least. So, each structure does go with it's setting so I'm okay with that. Thanks for opening my views up a bit as to not just being structures but what they are used for. Can't wait to get my deck started! Maybe I'll post some before and after pictures - it won't be anything spectacular but way better than before.