Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzzonkowl

How can I move a large white garden archway?

ZzzonkOwl
9 years ago

Does anyone know any technique to move this archway about 50 feet? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I would say you are going to have to take it apart in some way. Don't you think?

It's a nice archway. Are there screws or bolts that you can remove and reconstruct it in the new location?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

While it's a NICE arbor -- and one of the first we've seen here of a decent WIDTH -- it's not fabulous. I can't help but think that moving it is also an opportunity to improve the arbor so that it becomes an even nicer one.

For one thing, the rafter tail cuts seem upside down. While one occasionally sees them like this, there's no question that they look better when the cuts slope upward toward the tips ... the conventional way of doing it. (There is usually a reason when some things are done certain traditional ways.)

Secondly, the 4" x 4" posts seem undersized and skimpy for an arbor of this size. 6" x 6" posts would seem more well proportioned. Beefier beams, doubled up at each end would eliminate the need for center posts. (The old posts can be re-used for something else.)

Thirdly, having the lattice panels extend all the way to the ground makes it seem that there are mobile homes and RVs sited nearby. It would be better if the lattice stops 1' to 1 1/2' short of the ground and is finished off (framed) with 4" width lumber. The plants to the outside of the arbor should show through or "trim" plants (such as flowering annuals or perennials) can edge the bottom of the arbor.

Moving the arbor would make it easy to simultaneously accomplish all of these improvements. In order to do it, since the old posts will be sacrificed, just cut the arbor portion off near the top of the posts and remove it from the posts as a single integrated piece, with all rafters intact. (Since most pick-up trucks have holes for posts in the bed surround, create a support frame embedded in these holes, that is at an elevation slightly higher -- by an inch or two -- than the arbor now sits. (You will need to adjust this height later; a wood stringer screwed to vertical posts would be an easily changeable way to attach.) Drive the truck bed below the arbor. Cut the arbor free and erect the support posts simultaneously. Rest the cut-free arbor on the pick-up truck support and drive it to the new location. (You would need to pry out the old post cut-off portions.) Erect the new posts under the arbor and attach it to them. After making sure the arbor is leveled and squared, place fresh concrete around the posts. If the truck must be removed for other use, prior to placing concrete, secure the arbor with adequate bracing before dismantling the support system. Otherwise, let the concrete set up for a day, then dismantle the support and retrieve the truck. (I'm describing the general principles and process ... not every detail.)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

Frankly. It would probably be easier to just build a new one at the desired location!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Woody, you cannot do much carpentry if you think buying, hauling, cutting, assembling and nailing all those pieces will be as easy as, essentially, installing 4 new posts!!

I did forget to add that the arbor needs to be flipped over after being removed. But I'm sure a way to do it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

ZZZonkOwl, I would be very happy to find that archway on my property and what a great opportunity to grow some great roses and other vines.

It is a unique archway. IâÂÂve not seen another one like it. Someone evidently custom built it to their likings and unless you have carpentry skills and already had a desire to change the arbor, I donâÂÂt see any reason you have to. As long as it feels sturdy to you, just moving it is great.

Not that the suggestions made, were not good ones, if you were looking for ideas about changing the arbor.

I think the suggestion to 'flip it over' is what I was thinking too. Dig out the posts so the structure is loose, then with friends, turn it over and move it that way then turn it back up and reinstall.

This forum is really focused on âÂÂdesignâ not construction, so if you want more detailed advice that will really help you to either move it as is, or take the top off the sides to move it, take a look at the forums under âÂÂHome ForumsâÂÂ. ThereâÂÂs a âÂÂPorches & Decksâ forum and a âÂÂWoodworkingâ forum where you might find members who have the construction skills to advice you better.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

Yard - I do like to build things (although I have to leave the physical building of bigger structures to somebody larger and stronger), which is probably why I'd go for building a new structure that met my needs, rather than trying to move something so big and fiddle with changing it to improve it....

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

OK. Sure. If you're just pressing the "Pay Now" button ... why not?? Build two or three more, too. To us big strong guys, this is not a difficult move. I've moved larger, heavier things. Sometimes by myself. Also, all the "fiddling with" this things needs is to be turned over. Everything else is barely an issue. The hardest part of the whole process -- me explaining how to do something simple and kill three or four birds with one stone -- is already done.