Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with foundation planting front of house

Posted by amm0810 IA-5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 11:36

I'm stuck. We have landscaped around our whole house this summer and the front has been vexing me from the get go. I have tore out the new plants 2 times and replanted!! My husband is about ready to kill me! :) I have the right side of the house left to do and need some help. Our house is on 3 acres, about 200' off the road and we have about 1 acres of prairie grass/flowers planted in the back yard so my style is a bit more casual....around the sides and back is a mix of burning bush, russian sage, daylilly, aster, sedum...burning bush...
We have a paver sidewalk going from the driveway to the left in a curve to the right to the front door. "In the curve", below the dining room window I have planted a mix of 2 little bluestem grass, 3 purple coneflower, 3 catmint, 1 Peony, 1 spirea, 3 Hardy Geranium, 1 black eyed susan, 3 blanket flower. Space is about 5' deep at widest part and about 18' wide. Now, across the sidewalk on other side is a space about 3' deep by 14' wide. It backs up to a porch with 3 white pillars and the porch is about 2' above ground. The corners of the house have diable ninebark planted on them.
Do I need to use the same mix of plants I used "in the curve" on other side of the walk? I am struggling to get a good mix of color/height with the space allowed and still try to plant in groupings. Should I try to do more coneflower on that side or will it be funny with only 3' depth to work with? I would really like to finish it up this weekend so we can put the rock down and be done so any help is appreciated!!

Here is a link that might be useful: house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with foundation planting front of house

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: other ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here