Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing concrete wall planter

Posted by ptr727 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 11:50

Hi, I would like some advice on how to prepare a planter.

See pictures.
The planter is built against the property wall.
The property wall is concrete blocks.
The planter is poured concrete.
The planter is 3' wide.
The planter starts about 4' deep, and ends about 2' deep.
The surrounding patio is poured concrete.
The bottom of the planter is partially covered by the wall footing, the rest is open to the ground below.

I will be planting tall trees / shrubs for privacy from the neighbor on the tall end of the planter.

I would like advice on how to prepare the inside of the planter.

Do I need to lay down a barrier to keep roots from going deeper than the bottom of the planter?
Do I need to install drainage at the bottom of the planter, or just an overflow drain?
What materials in what layers do I use to fill the planter?

Thank you.
P.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing concrete wall planter

Unless you are growing water or bog plants, you need bottom drainage or weep holes at the base of the planter. Otherwise, you want to fill the planter with a uniform mix of potting soil - no drain rock at bottom, no barrier, no garden soil, just a good quality potting soil.

This looks like an excellent situation for some type of bamboo - the planter is a bit too restrictive for much else that will develop any height for privacy. Equisetum can work also.

o

May we see the face of the planter?

o

Hi, thank you for the replies.

The bottom of the planter is open to the original soil, it is not sealed.
Is that sufficient drainage, or would I not want the water to drain underneath the patio and wall footing?

I am adding a picture showing the entire planter and wall.

P.

o

We're doing a job right now where someone 15-20 years ago installed masonry planters against the lower level of a home with the theory that a soil bottom and no other draiange was fine. We're now core drilling drain holes at intervals along the wall base, prior to the contractor replacing everything on the house that's rotted. Just FYI.

o

Ok, sounds like bottom drainage is a good idea then.

I've seen both flexible corrugated and rigid drilled pipe used, what would you suggest I use?

o

Rigid perforated wrapped in filter cloth -

A note on soil - a potting soil will decompose ( shrink) and compact a bit too fast. I'd suggest a planting mix.

We're working a somewhat similar project . photo attached.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here