Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jak5_gw

Pergola Design

jak5
9 years ago

I'm designing a Cedar Pergola to cover my existing cedar deck.
Attached is the latest design image.
My questions are:

1) Post Notching: Do I really need to notch the 6x6 post 1" on each side so the 2x12 (or possiblily 2x10) Beams have a resting spot? My thoughts are the load from the 2x8 joist (or possibily 2x6) and rafters above the beam are that heavy compared to a fully covered roof. And I'm thinking by notching the post, this leaves an area where moisture can reside which may lead to premature wood rotting. Your thoughts?

2) Beam Size: I've shown 2x12 beams on each side of the post, but thinking 2x10's would be sufficient, again as the load above is rather light. The distance between each post is 11'. I've even had some recommendations that 2x8 beams would be sufficient for an open Pergola such as this. What is the reccomended beam size for 11' span between post for an open Pergola style such as this, using cedar?

3) Joist size: Similar to be beam size question, I've shown 2x8 joists spanning from beam to beam. The distance is 12'. Would 2x6's be sufficient or should I stick with 2x8's?. Above the joists I plan on having 2x2 rafters.

Comments (7)

• jak5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closeup of the post notch.

• jak5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After lots of research, the design has changed.
    The beams are now 2x8's, running perpendicular from the house. The span between the post with the double 2x8 beams are longer (13') than the other direction (11'), so figure the larger boards should span the longer distance.
    The joists are still 2x6 and now spanning the shorter distance of 11'. Separate 2x6 boards meet at the center post, butted together. Those meeting at the post are bolted thru the 6x6 post. This forms some support to racking, but I do plan on adding knee braces (not shown yet).
    All 6 posts are attached to concrete using Simpson ABA66RZ metal post bases.
    Appreciate any feedback on this latest Pergola design.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Notch the beams; it is much stronger. Keep in mind that one thing that happens with wood is it splits. If you bolt a beam to a post and it splits where the bolt is (10 years later when the wood has weakened and worn) the beam can suddenly drop down. (We don't know what other forces could be affecting it to cause a catastrophic failure ... a group of trouble-making teens teens, for example.) If the beam is resting in a notch it is likely to give a warning before a catastrophic failure occurs.

I'm not going to comment on your wood spec sizes. But I'm wondering about the triangular corner piece and the half mile long cantilevered seat. Is there going to be another support for the seat? Maybe you will just extend it to the next post.

• jak5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark,
    I think i will notch the post, sounds like a good idea. How far deep should I notch, halfway the size of beam (1"), less or more?
    What method/tools of notching do your suggest?
    Oh, that long bench is existing, I just didn't bother drawing the supports underneath it. And that triangular corner is existing, a raise portion where flower pots go.
    The overhead pergola does not attached to either the bench or corder.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Per the notching specs, about an inch sounds in the ball park. But it would depend on your material specs. Get some guidance on that from a reliable source ... tables or pros. My homespun notching would be cuts started with a circular saw (doing as much as possible) and finished with a hand saw, which might even be a pruning saw. I use a folding one for everything.

• pls8xx
    9 years ago

I don't see any feature of this structure designed to resist a lateral force.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

weebles wobble but they don't fall down. Same can't be said for structures with inadequate lateral bracing as pls8xx mentioned. There's no Simpson post base I'd trust for the job. One of the big national kit builders, their post base is a sleeve that comes up the post a couple feet and lags to the decking at multiple points. That or significant embedment is your best bet,