Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help trying to fix my parents house appeal

Posted by bachdon Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:30

Ive been searching through the forum and am astonished at the amount of help many of you have given to others and was hoping you may be able to help me and my wife revitalize my parents house, that we are taking over since their divorce. I unfortunately am horrible with design ideas and hoping you can help. The house is on 6 acres of slowly elevating land, up until the house with no shading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help trying to fix my parents house appeal

Would you like us to show it to you upside down? I'm thinking a pier on that lake would be nice..........

JK, but my head won't turn that way.

o

here you go ... lake-be-gone worked!!!!

Where is the picture taken from? the road?

Is this the front of the house or the back deck?

How much gardening and work do you want to do?

Is this for resale or you living in it?

Where is the house - city and state?

o

Sorry, about the pic not sure what happened.. Harrisburg, PA. Picture is taken 40yds from front of the house, before a drastic downhill slope. This is the front of the house. Currently all work will be for live-in purposes. However house could be up for potential sale by 2017. (Parents are divorced in decree have 3 years to either refinance mortgage to my wife and i or my father sell the property). Im willing to do as much work as necessary to make this look nice, because currently the exterior is not attractive and rather unkept and plain.

o

For basic planting, you might start with a hedge surrounding the deck (covering the lattice) flowering shrubs below the windows, some flowering perennial around the house corners, annuals at the steps and trees flanking the house at a diagonal to its corners. It's a start. The colors are not suggestions of actual colors to use. I have a suspicion that more trees would be useful in the foreground and at the sides of the house.

o

I would make a sitting area between deck and street ... then add some plantings or arbors for shade and privacy and to get rid of the pool table effect.

A small grove of trees (whatever is appropriate for the area) leading from the corner of the lot towards the house (informally spaced) would break up the pool table.

Finish the fence, redo the slope with something that doesn't need mowing or muvh maintenance (native shrubs, evergreens, daylilies, etc.)

o

Dimensional shingles for the facade dominating roof and removing the obviously fake because they are very much undersized shutters would do as much or more for the house as any landscaping. Beef up the window trim (and supportive posts) instead of shutters. And do the shed porch roof in a complimentary metal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here