Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steved504

Retaining Wall

steved504
9 years ago

I need to raise my rear yard a great deal and I need to know the best way to stop water and mud draining into my rear neighbours yard. My plan was to install the black waterproof membrane between the fence and the dirt (The stuff thats around my house foundation) Now will that work? I don't want to use wood.

I essentially need a retaining wall against my fence as I have to build my rear yard up quite a bit and slope it down. I don't want water or mud to run under my fence or through small gaps in my fence boards.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Please submit a picture that shows the overall scope of work and the existing conditions. It might require two or three pictures. (The pictures should not just be examples of things (close-ups) but should EXPLAIN things (wide shots.))

• steved504
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The dirt will be as high as the bottom rail on the fence and slop down towards the pool into my rear storm drain. The dirt right now is sitting 2-3 in below my fence boards. I need something that is not block or wood. I was hoping to dig a small trench and attach black house wrap (Membrane) to the fence so it blocks anything from penetrating my neighbours yard.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Have you no termites in your state?

• steved504
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no termites whatsoever

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Steve, all the states have either termites or something else that eats and destroys wood if the wood remains moist ... which it will with your plan.

The picture does not explain WHY you are doing this. So please give some background. What is causing this project?

"The dirt will be as high as the bottom rail on the fence and slope down towards the pool into my rear storm drain." Hmmmm ... not clear what you mean. Wherever rear storm drain is, is unknown; does not show in picture. Starting at the pool edge and travelling straight toward the fence is an uphill climb (for an ant)? It looks like going downhill; the bottom of your neighbor's fence appears lower than yours ... presuming that it's your neighbor's house in the distance ...(?)

Is your property higher than your neighbor's? Does the rain that falls on his side of the fence run toward the front of his property?

Don't have enough information yet, but I'm sensing that you're trying to solve an erosion problem with a grading plan (more difficult, more expensive and likely to damage fence) when it should be solved by a planting plan (easier, cheaper and will not damage fence.)

• steved504
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to grade my property to the storm drain in my backyard. Right now my property slopes into my neighbours backyard. Maybe the bottom rail on fence is to high of a slope but the town told me I might need a retaining wall to stop water from entering my neighbours yard. I am trying to find an alternative to building a wall.

The storm drain is located right beside the concrete sidewalk for my pool.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

At this moment, I would consider "might" to be the operative word. People are in the habit of running their mouth in the hopes that it will cause other people will leave them alone. But I wouldn't act based on that. You should act on official regulation. But common sense will probably solve the problem. Has all this come about because of a complaint by the neighbor? If so, that would be something you should have brought up. You would need to explain the exact nature of the complaint ... specifically. If there has been damage done to the neighbor's yard, you would need to show it in a picture. Nothing can be known here unless you make it known.

You need to do a better job of showing the storm drain relative to all the things surrounding and affecting it. Is it left? Outside of the picture? What size is it? I need to see it. If it doesn't show in the picture, mark it's location with something larger so that it can be seen. A picture of it taken in line and from the opposite end of the yard would likely be helpful.

Think about any neighborhood with sloping ground ... in a rain, water is running from one neighbor's yard into the next neighbor's yard ... everywhere. This is the way it works. But the water can't be a focused, and therefore a potentially damaging stream, or carry mud along with it. I can't see behind the camera. Is there a massive slope aimed at your neighbor?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Is this a problem which has developed since -- and as a result of -- the installation of the pool?