Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To the pros and knowledgeable responders

Posted by Violet.West (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 12:59

(of which I am not one). I feel your pain.

Why don't you ask GW to make a "sticky"? I know it's possible -- the Kitchens forum has one. Something like, "Need Help? Start here." It could have . . .

1) Show us your property/start by taking a picture (instructions)

2) Tell us what area of the country/world you are in/what zone

3) Tell us what you plan to use the space for

4) Tell us what specific problems or challenges your site has that need addressing (privacy, shade, aesthetics, drainage)

something like that. I know it probably won't make a difference, because people can be lazy and just want to be told what to do, but at least it would be a start, and you could point people to it when they don't provide enough info.

Yeah, this is meddling but I can never keep my big mouth shut. Just a suggestion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To the pros and knowledgeable responders

Your suggestion is a good one and I completely agree with you. It would be nice if the average help-seeker would show up with their ducks in a row... especially with decent pictures. I will contact GW admin. and see if it is possible.

o

:)

perhaps with a special "drainage" section, since that seems to be a common problem

o

I don't understand the purpose of the sticky. Please elaborate.

o

to help people think about their needs, ask better questions, and get better responses. To give responders a better idea of the property and the goals of the poster.

A long shot, I know.

o

It would be a way to communicate those same things that are said over and over and over again without needing for someone to write it all over again ... each time.

One of my personal frustrations is the inferior pictures people provide. It is as if someone wanted to remodel a room so they show you a picture of 3' of their baseboard and ask "what are my options?" ...??? The basic concept of showing a space so that it is understood is grasped by very, very few.

Someone from GardenWeb replied, cryptically, to my initial query. I think they want a "sticky" in the form of an FAQ.

o

It would be helpful to have a sticky, but who is going to read it? People who post here need help. They may not read a sticky. They desperately post a photo. They have a cell phone camera. They do their best.

I'm guilty, but THERE IS NO WAY I could post a photo that encompasses my last resolved problem. I got flack, which was hurtful, for posting 9 photos that nobody could connect.

Please understand, this is a garden web forum. NOT some design forum. People come here for help, not criticism of their photos.

I know it would be nice, in a perfect world to have a perfect photo, but a cell phone won't do that, and if they could afford a pro photo, they could afford a pro landscaper. Capece?

Suzi

o

Suzi, I'm afraid I must disagree with you. For the most part, cell phone cameras are very good. The camera is not the problem. It is 95% with the photographer and how they set up the shot (or shots.) Saying you "got flack and it was hurtful" makes me think that if it only takes a request for better pictures to hurt you, you are a little too thin skinned to be asking for advice on a public forum. Instead of rationalizing why better photos couldn't be provided, it would be better to learn how to take them. Now, after seeing several views of your project in a couple of threads, I have no doubt at all that pictures could be taken that make the lay of the land (around your house anyway) easily comprehensible to everyone ... in less than 9 shots.There IS a way you could post a few photos that encompass your last project so that everyone will grasp how the property fits together.

This forum is officially called the "Landscape Design Forum" so why you say it is "NOT some design forum." ... stumps me.

Everyone doesn't read everything they're supposed to read. But if some or most people read how they could significantly improve their chances of getting help, then that is better than no one having the opportunity to read, or the help-givers needing to tell everyone individually. Could a case be made showing that FAQ's for the Forum would be somehow harmful to it? I don't think it could.

o

Well, after perusing this forum for quite some time, I see a need. It can't hurt, and it may help. Isn't that what the forum is for?

Here's a link to the Kitchen Forum's "start here/read me""

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen forum sticky

o

It would be nice if they also included the direction the home or area they need help with faces (its exposure).

o

I'm not sure we have a "FAQ" though. Questions, yes - standard answers, no.

YV, did you get the impression that if a post was created that was suitable for this forum, GW would sticky it, or no?

o

I had a more in-depth reply earlier, but must have forgot to push "submit". Uuugh.

They will create FAQ but want consensus. Not sure how they determine it has been achieved.

I think we don't have FAQ but could discuss here what is needed in it. Then create threads that will be linked. That seems how the kitchen FAQ is done. I volunteer to create thread for how to take meaningful photos. (But not this week.)

o

Consensus is kinda hard, but I'd be willing to work with you to come up with something to submit. I have changed my profile to allow for emails if you want.

o

I think if it were limited in scope as to the kind of information a prospective responder would need in order to provide something reasonably helpful might be best... zone, rough geographical location, orientation, most helpful position for photographs, etc.

There isn't much that would dissuade many a poster from believing his/her situation isn't somehow unique and, therefore, doesn't recognize the similarities from thread to thread.

People are extremely generous with their time and information, but any obligation to reply is self imposed.

o

I've been lurking here for years, and I think a sticky would be good. Reading several threads entirely will give the same information, but that does require that the poster first read through other people's problems. (Something that's fascinating to me, but presumably not to everyone.)

o

haven't forgotten about this . . . will try to work something up this weekend for comments

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here