Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Patio borders...I'm stumped

joannemb
13 years ago

I have 2 beds that border my patio that desperately need landscaping. I ripped out the hostas that were there, and thought I might plant a nice dense border of endless summer hydrangeas. Here is a picture of the newly planted shrubs.

{{gwi:40366}}

{{gwi:40367}}

The area under the window is about 4ft. deep, and to the right, it comes back a bit more---6ft.

Well, the area faces west and gets full afternoon sun (5-6 hours) and I think it is too much for these little darlings. I'm planning on moving them elsewhere, which once again leaves me with a blank slate here.

I will tell you that I like the look of English gardens, love boxwood hedges filled with flowers, lean toward formal landscaping---(please don't stop reading because I said the f word though! lol) --- I guess formal in the way of liking mass plantings of one flower and lean toward monochromatic or analogous color schemes.

I was thinking possibly a short boxwood hedge in front (right along the edge of the patio) and then behind it some fabulous showy flower that would give me height and fullness spilling out over the hedge so to speak. Annabelle hydrangeas came to mind---but they would only fit on the right side --then I'd need something low under the window since I don't want to block it too much.

{{gwi:40369}}

{{gwi:40371}}

{{gwi:40373}}

Roses also came to mind, but I would want full shrub type roses, and EASY is a requirement because I'm a novice. Maybe a trellis for height on the right side?

Lastly here is the other little side bed. I think these hydrangeas might be too puny here---although they were just planted and are supposed to get 2'x2'---still I might need something else there (or I could move them too.)

{{gwi:40375}}

Thank you for any suggestions/help!

Comments (6)