Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelgarden

Rain water drainage issues from house

Kelgarden
9 years ago

We are getting rid of our pool and noticed that when it rains it fills up with quite a bit of water.

We discovered that the rain water from the eaves trough leads down to a corrugated pipe that goes under the ground so we started digging to follow it and see what's up.

About 10 feet from the house there is a Y-connector that connects 2 pipes - 1 is the rain water pipe from the house mentioned above, 2 is a pipe that runs parallel to the house close to the pool, likely to drain water from the yard.

The Y connector then connects to a pipe that runs further so the water can leave the house and yard, but I noticed that the Y connector is not sealed so it leaks water. Which would explain why the hole in the ground (where the pool used to be) fills up with water as the Y connector leaks during heavy rains so all that water goes down into the ground and find it's way to the pool hole.

I disconnected the Y connector and saw there was quite a bit of dirt/sediment at the bottom of the pipe. Is this normal? I thought it should be clean to allow water flow. I tested filling it up with water with a hose and saw that it got full in a few minutes so it must be blocked.

Where do these pipes usually lead to? I think I may have to dig up the whole length of that pipe and replace it. What a mess!

Any suggestions?

Comments (2)