Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with what to plant in garden

Posted by ballancedisplay none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 13:49

Need help as to what to put in my garden
This is for the area to the left side of the porch inset underneath the window coming out to front of porch.
Was originally thinking a purple beech with other plants that go well but looking at options, any suggestions would be great
Can post updated pic of a better angle tonight.
House faces South/West

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with what to plant in garden

Another pic

o

Also sorry Zone 5 Caledon East ON

o

Think purple beech might quickly become a bigger specimen than the space can handle.

o

That's was my thought/worry

o

Here is a better pic.

o

For the area you're trying to get advice for, your pictures are not quite right. You should line up with the left edge of the house and be back far enough that we see your neighbor's yard (and maybe edge of his house.) The city sidewalk (or curb) should show in the foreground of the picture. And a bit of your driveway would be at the right edge of the picture. In other words, the area you're landscaping is at the center of your picture and there is A LOT OF SPACE AROUND IT TO PROVIDE THE CONTEXT of what you're trying to do.

But for a minute, let's talk about something else. I am almost horrified that your nice looking house has entrance steps made for an RV! This screams out as a true devaluing of the property. It needs a set of steps that fit the house ... which says to me, wide and with cheekwalls, as that's the better way to to it.

Edit: OK ... the above comment was based on one picture. But in looking at some of the others again, I see you've already made alterations -- improvements -- to the front steps. Nevertheless, I will leave the drawing.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 10:28

o

My first thought was that what you've already got planted is TOO CLOSE to the house. Especially the tree. It looks newly planted but is already almost touching the house. Don't you expect it to grow?

o

I have the same sentiment about things being too close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here