Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing pin oak

Posted by bklyn71 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:09

We have a pin oak in our backyard and recently learned that because of its multiple leaders (there are three), it is structurally unsound. But it is the focal point of our garden and gives us shade. We were thinking of gradually removing it by pruning and at the same time growing a replacement tree opposite it. We have a tiny Brooklyn backyard (20' wide). Is this a practical option? If so, what would be the best tree for a little urban garden? I'd love something that flowers.
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing pin oak

If you plant a tree in the 'opposite' location, how much sun will it receive while the pin oak is still standing?

If you do plant the new tree and then after several years remove the pin oak, how much will it cost to remove the pin oak without damaging the new tree? That may dictate what you do. [With a 20' wide yard, I assume the pin oak's branches probably overhang at least some of these: your house, neighbor's houses, various fences, garages, etc.]

o

I think I would have to look for a replacement tree that does okay with part sun. It would definitely receive a fair amount of sun though. I don't think removing the oak without damaging the other tree would be a problem. We had it pretty drastically pruned this year and the rest of the garden was untouched. This is an attached house in NYC (no garages), so the tree pruners are used to working in tight spaces.

o

I like the idea of preplanting and gradual removal, and MTO has pinpointed the major potential hurdle to doing that, namely if the new tree will be damaged by removal of the old.

Other than that, the issue is direction of sun. The new tree may not give you shade quite where you want it. I don't see this as a long term problem, though, because once the pin oak is down you can plant a new tree in its location.

Managing treescape in a small space is a process, not an end result! As such, you can always plant/remove on a staggered basis at the two sites available for trees. If the pin oak is at the better spot, that is where you would plant a slow growing tree that will provide perfect shade for several years once it grows to a certain point. At the other location, you can plant something that will grow quickly to size, and then remove it when the primary tree gets big enough to do its part.

KarinL

o

Thanks Karin! That sounds like good advice. From some other posts, it sounds like I should avoid trees with shallow root systems too, or I won't be able to plant under them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here