Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch on a hillside

Posted by rpleary 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 14:20

I have planted shrubs and bushes on steep hillside (about 35 degrees) after using ROUNDUP on the grass. Now I fear using a weed mat will just allow the mulch to slide off the mat. Maybe applying the mulch directly onto the dead turf would be better? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch on a hillside

How about planting a groundcover rather than mulching? I think you're going to have just as much trouble keeping the mulch on the slope, weed mat or no. There are plenty of options for groundcover, some more... vigorous than others!

How large is the area? What, if anything, is around it (i.e., do you need to keep groundcover out of the neighbors' adjacent lawn)?

o

Landscape fabric isn't the best thing for keeping weeds down, as they'll just grow on top of it eventually, and then you'll have a mess on your hands. Do a search for landscape fabric on this forum to read more.

If the slope is too steep to keep mulch on, groundcover is the better solution, in the form of creeping plants, or shrubs and perennials planted close enough together to shade out weeds. They'll also help hold the mulch in place while they fill in, but you'll still have to do some hand weeding until they do.

o

To answer your question, weed mat will cause the mulch to slide more than mulch alone. Dense plantings will be the most effective in stabilizing the slope, and you should mulch anything you plant. Perhaps an erosion control mat can be used under the mulch, I've done this with great success, it breaks down within a specified amount of time depending on your needs, 12 month, 24 month etc.

o

We just completed a slope project and used newspaper to cover the ground. On top of the newspaper we placed jute netting and then on top of that we mulched. Through this we planted ground cover and small shrubs. Eventually the newspaper and the netting will decompose, but we hope the ground cover and shrubs will be established by then.

The jute netting was the key to keeping the mulch from sliding down the hill.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 6:53

Also,

Long shreddy mulch holds best on slopes. Finely ground mulch washes down and blows away. Chunk bark rolls and catches the breeze sometimes. The shreddy stuff tends to hold itself together on the slope. Wood chips roll and blow like chunk bark.

o

No matter what you decide to do, I would suggest using plenty of Preen to keep seeds from germinating in the future. I try to Preen, mulch, and then Preen again.

I have recently been buying a generic version of Preen. I have a Preen shaker canister, and just fill it with the bagged off brand stuff. It is the same ingredient, and the same percentage. I recently found some at Menards (Like Lowes) and the bag was busted so they sold it at 1/2 price.

Possibly you could locate some tree trimmer wood chips (free) and just see how well they hang on in a downpour. Then if they 'hold' ok, you could topdress it with some mulch more to your liking. I get shredded bark, from the sawmill for $30 a truckload, and it has a nice color.

Sue

o

I know that I am responding to this article which is several years old but there is a new product which could have helped RPLEARY. Go to www.mulchmagnet.com. It is a material specifically for holding mulch on hillsides. I am sure there are others with the same issue.

o

There is a new product called Slope Hugger. It is a new landscape/erosion control fabric that traps mulch to the slope in areas of wind or water runoff.
Check out Slope-Hugger.com
It works on slopes up to 5:1. Simple to use, one roll, one layer, one time. When everthing goes downhill!

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 22:30

vickeygrow--

You know shilling is against the forum rules, right? (Assuming Vickeygrow is a a real person...and not some form of 'bot...)

melanie

o

I just happen to live in the same city as Vickygrow, She is one of the inventors and owners of the patent which she and one other person own. This does indeed look like a viable product and one which would work. I'm not going to beat on her for listing her own product, and this is not meant as a "tattle" either. Our hillsides here are quite steep here, and some are ~40* which is not easy to walk up. Her product is not in production at this time, but I do commend her for seeing a problem and attempting to provide a solution.
I don't know (or care to know) her, nor am I involved in marketing (anything) for anybody. I just looked at the website and it looks promising. I hope she makes a fortune and the product catches on with landscapers.
Renron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here