Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

What to do with front yard bed?

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

I've planted some Annabelle hydrangeas in front of my house. My question is what should I put in front of them? moving that liriope and crepe mrytle that is in the center, to the side yard. On the end is a dwarf crepe that will get 10ft or so high, would like to keep that. I'm sticking with a white flower theme throughout the whole yard. Not big on color as boring as that sounds. The area gets dappled shade in the morning and then from 10:30-2:00 has afternoon sun. Love the look of hydrangeas and hostas, but think it may be too much sun? Ideally want lower upkeep and perennials. Love hydrangeas, hostas, grasses, ferns.

Is it weird to not have something green in winter in front of a home? Also did I plant my Annabelles too close together? I had read that if you plant them closer they give each other support to not floop as much. They are about 2.5ft apart. The other question, should there be one more on the left side? I didnt plant one there since they get about 4ft wide and that is the walkway to the door. Didnt want to crowd that area with a hydrangea.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Comments (5)

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

If you want something evergreen, you could try euonymus. The ones I have are green and yellow, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in green and white as well. They'd probably get a little pink tinged in winter. I've found them to be pretty tough. Last year (or was it the year before?) when we had the major drought I kind of gave up on watering my plants and those and the daylilies are what survived. I'm not suggesting you create a drought for them, but they're tough little buggers :) The only real maintenance once established would be pruning to keep it to whatever size you want.

Daylilies are pretty hardy, but I don't think there are many white ones... usually turn out to be more of an off-white creamy color.

I guess there are always daisies if you don't mind the white center. I have no experience with them, but I believe they require full sun... I don't know how well they will do with only 3.5 hrs of direct sun...

I don't know if it's necessarily weird to not have anything green in front of the house in winter. For myself, I prefer the house not to look like a barren wasteland, but I also find white flowers boring in general. (I actually returned an Annabelle last year that did amazing because it wasn't the Penny Mac the store had promised -- I would have kept it if it was something that could get pink or blue instead of only white). I guess the only concern with the emptiness in front of the house in the winter would be with your HOA (if you have one). Mine requires 4 shrubs in the front yard (though they didn't specify living and/or non-dormant...) I hate my HOA, but that's another story.

Anyway, sorry I'm not much help, but good luck on your flower bed :)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The hydrangea are spaced fine next to each other, but all are too close to the house. They should be at least 3' from the wall. The bed shape is asking for a tree but the tree position is too much in front of the windows. It would be better if the bed was enlarged to the right and outward some. A crape myrtle would be great there. A solid bed of variegated liriope below it (I think that's what you have) would be preferable to a string of liriope. (The drawing -- obviously -- is not to show perfect detail, but a general idea. It would be your job to perfect it.) I'd not add a hydrangea at the left, but remove the end one at the right so the hedge fits the windows.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with what a euonyums is. Will certainly look those up. Can imagine you hate the HOA. We just bought this house and the main reason we went with this, over another home, was it had no HOA. Now I look at the washing machine and dryer in my neighbors front yard, as well as the toilet being used as a planter and almost wish some sort of HOA was here.

Yardvaark, I love it. Had been thinking about changing the bed shape. That was the original shape when we moved in. We are about to stick a fence on that end of the house and the tree circle would look great.

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

Yeah the HOA annoys me. They claim to budget money for snow removal, but they never hire anyone to do it as far as I can tell...They spent something like $7000 for a sign that says "Southridge Subdivision". I got a complaint letter that I had only 1 tree in my front yard instead of 2 (though there was only 1 tree in the yard when I moved in 6 yrs prior)...They sent me a complaint letter about "keeping a cage on my front yard" -- I had an animal control service trying to trap a groundhog living under the front porch... They're just annoying... sorry...rant over :)

Oh and I'm putting a link for what I was thinking of.

Edit to add disclaimer: I labelled it as Emerald Gaiety because that's what that site identified it as. Some sites show that cultivar as white and green while others show it as yellow and green...best to check it out locally to make sure it comes out how you want it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:40693}}

This post was edited by jeanerz13 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 18:38

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many years ago I was a Realtor so I got to hear all kinds of HOA horror stories. One client had to move because he had a f-350 white truck that he could not park in front of his home. It was considered a commercial vehicle. If he garaged it, he would have been fine. Of course it was a dually and didnt fit.

I have a bush that looks like that on the bottom, but up top looks like a boxwood. It's a funky bush. I'll try to snap a pic to post.