Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peteacher20

Need Ideas

PEteacher20
10 years ago

I do not know much about landscaping; however, I really wanted to do something about my front yard. We started by removing the big one sided tree and adding a Samaritan dogwood to the side of the house. I am now trying to add flower bed to the front but again, it is a long yard and I do not really know what I am doing or what flowers/shrubs to include. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• PEteacher20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic after we removed tree and added dogwood.

• PRO
    Amber Freda Garden Design
    10 years ago

You should start by adding flowerbeds along the front porch and the windows to the right of the porch. Try sketching out the shape of the flowerbeds on a piece of paper ahead of time. You can edge the flowerbeds with metal edging for a more finished appearance. Then, take your photos and sketch to a local nursery to find out what plants will do well here. You should observe how many hours of sun the beds get per day, approximately, and whether or not the sun is in the morning or afternoon, and give that information to the nursery salesperson as well.

• PEteacher20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that suggestion. I did cut the beds out already, just have to edge it and make it straight. Unfortunately the nursery I looked at in my area only has their designer around during certain months; of coarse not this one or next lol. Do you think the workers there might know? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks again.

I'm including some more pics at are closer and show the cut out of beds. Dang sun sets behind the house, thats why those evening pics from far back are crappy quality.

• PEteacher20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right side of porch

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Step back and take a good look at the size of your house. The skinny planting beds you are creating are going to look like a choker chain around its neck. Plants take up space and the absolute minimum width I'd make a bed is 4'. And I'd consider that pinched. 6 - 8' wide is a more realistic space, while they may vary in width. Also, I don't think I'd intend on growing just "flowers" in those beds unless you like more work. Using landscape plants as a base framework and then adding flowers to that scheme seems more realistic.

• PEteacher20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking that the more I looked at it, I would like to hide the foundation (with some shrubs possibly) because the original paint is peeling off. They are 3 feet right now so I will start by marking it out doubled. Would you suggest connecting it to area where the new tree is? And continue with the placement of the beds, in front of porch and beside driveway? Thank you for your input.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

There is a balancing act between the beds conforming to the plants that will be in it and the plants conforming to how much room they're allowed. Before doing anything, I would follow Amerfreda's advice and sketch out what you are thinking on paper (reasonably to scale) so that you can see--before you dig--that things will fit and the shapes of the beds are pleasing and compatible.

I think the new tree is close enough that it should be included in the main foundation bed.

The yard is large and the house looks exposed. There are no trees that give it a sense of seeming sheltered. I would think about adding a couple of street trees ... they are nearer the sidewalk and FRAME the view of the house, not obstruct it. If the foundation bed included an island with a small tree where you enter the porch (next to driveway) I think that would help with the house seeming more protected.

Of course, we can't see the whole front yard so that's based on what is seen now.

I would NOT create beds along the driveway that travel toward the street (except the singular island mentioned next to porch.) Such beds make the drive seem confined (like a corral) and do nothing to enhance the main entrance.

• PEteacher20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Thank you Yardvaark. I will get to sketching something up tomorrow and check out the nursery to see what I can work with as far as shrubs, flowers, etc. I like the idea of island with small tree where the entrance is. The long term plan is to put a covering and railing on the porch, but not happening this year. I can try to take another bigger pic that shows everything in the a.m. I was not sure what picture would be best to put on here with the yard being so "long" and it having to be far away to fit it all in. Thanks again to both of you. Have a good night.