Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

A blank slate makes it hard to get started...

peachymomo
13 years ago

This is the first time I've had a property that was flat and rectangular, I've always been on steep slopes with rocks or trees or other obstructions limiting what I was able to do. But by limiting my options I think it actually made it a lot easier to design. First I had to make the area hospitable to plants and by doing that I created structure and interest, which then made it a lot easier to choose which plants to put where. My standby has always been to build raised beds and terraces with rocks, and then fill them in with plants that I admire in other peoples' gardens.

Now I've been in my new house for more than a year and all I've done is re-plant the two front foundation beds and start a lot of plants in pots. I've been arranging and re-arranging them to see what I like and where they thrive. I got our plot map and measured all the buildings and paths and large plants and I've been drawing and discarding plan after plan. Finally I talked to my bf and he's agreed that it would be best to hire a professional, in fact he had a recommendation for someone he's known for years who works in the area and has designed a lot of attractive and low-maintenance landscapes. So I've gathered pictures of paths and patios and plants and arbors, I've picked out the plans that I drew that are most acceptable, and I've taken pictures of the property to bring to the meeting. Because I decided that a blank slate is too hard for me to take on alone, and this way I can have someone else do the heavy lifting ; )

Comments (4)