Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised addition

Posted by svey Montreal (5b) (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 15:13

I've built an addition to my house last year. The addition sits on concrete pilings. I've put a small water garden next to the dinning room windows, left of the steps to access back yard. The siding is gray with white trim. At the moment, I have a dark 2 feet space between ground and the start of the siding. I was going to install wood trellis and stain black or charcoal to provide proper background.

Anybody with a different idea? Pictures?

Tx

Yves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised addition

Hi Yves,

Maybe adding one or two pictures will help you in your search.
it is hard to have an idea of the design and what could possibly be done.
Jay

o

I've taken a picture.

I was leaning toward a tight wood lattice stained black all around the addition perimited and under the stairs. I will also rerout the dryer exhaust to the other side of the stair.

o

How much horizontal space is there between the edge of the house and the edge of the flagstones around the pool?

o

On average, 18 inches. The pond is not straight. I really want to put some type of trellis, fencing, bamboo to keep the small animals out of there. Plants would be a problem because they would be under the roof overhang and would not get any rain water.

o

You definitely want something to keep the animals from getting under the house. If it were mine, I'd paint the trellis (or whatever) the same color as the siding. However, if you're also installing trellis under the small porch shown in the photo, what color you paint the trellis under the house might depend what color you paint the porch. If the porch is a different color than the siding, should the trellis be two colors?

Thinking of the area between the pool and the house/trellis from a landscaping point of view, I'd try to hide the trellis adjacent to the pond for a more natural look. Since you say the area is under the eaves and won't get much rainfall, and therefore plants won't do well, how about rocks? I think this view of the pool would look better with a backdrop of vertical rocks rather than with trellis as a background.

Yes, there should be trellis there -- but hidden by the rocks. (I daresay you should leave a gap between the rocks and the trellis so the trellis won't rot.)

Anyway: vertical rocks as a backdrop for the pool. Something that's not too different in color from the flagstones. Angular (to match the flagstones) would look more natural -- unless the flagstones' edges end up concealed with drifts of moss or other vegetation.

If you can't find rocks the right shape and size, you could make your own with hypertufa (a lightweight cement mixture that you form into shapes; depending what you do, it can look more like rocks than concrete). There's even a forum for it:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/hypertufa/

If you'd prefer plants there, you do have a couple of options. One is to plant varieties that can handle dry conditions and water them yourself. Another is to install a small automatic drip system that will water them for you. So the main consideration would be whether the area gets enough sun.

o

Nice pond! I have a similar space on the side on our house and have been thinking of ideas. The roof overhang is a definite challenge.

I like your trellis idea. In looking at your photo, my idea would be to paint the trellis to match the metal railing on your porch. I also like the suggestion to use large rocks between the pond and the trellis. That would help with the transition from the tall verticals of your house and porch to the flatness of the lawn and pond. I wonder if you could add a few drought tolerant plants to further soften the transition from the house to the lawn. Sedum maybe?

o

The railing is black. That is the reason I was going with black trellis initially. I have a harder time visualising the large rocks. Are we talking about something like a dry stack wall? Or just large stones place behind the pond partly under the house with the trellis contoured to match shape?

o

What I'm imagining is this: a collection of rocks of varying heights that would hide most of the trellis behind the pond. In my mind's eye, the rocks would slope up from the flagstones. The "back side" of the rocks would be more vertical, while the side toward the pond would slope more.

Depending on whether you have your own source of rocks (some people do) and have an infinite choice of sizes, shapes, and colors (!), it might be easier to do a dry-stack wall. Some of those can end up looking very natural.

Then add some smaller rocks at the base of the "wall" and plant whatever will grow in the conditions.

The cement piers and wooden beams below the addition might be less obvious if you painted them. If the trellis is going to be black, perhaps paint the piers and beams a medium-darkish gray?

*sigh* You make me want a pond....

o

• Posted by svey 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 10:50

Tx very good idea about painting the piers and beams.

The pond had been sitting for the past 8 years in the back yard behind the shed. After 8 years of working in the house, 2 addition later. I now have time for outside. I finished a small patio (10x12) yesterday and I'm really feeling the pain today.

The stones surrounding the pond are visible on the right. The water sound is lovely.

I'm very happy with the pond and patio.

Now, if only the kids go stop swimming, I could remove the pool.

o

Have you thought of softening the new border with some kind of drought resistant shrubs? Flower carpet roses are very low maintenance and don't require nearly the water of hybrid teas - a soaker hose for 1/2 an hour a couple of times a week keeps them happy, once-a-year pruning and feeding is all they need. Rosa rugosa are hardy as well and not fussy about soil and their thick growth & thorns will help keep the critters out - also their 'hips' are pretty in the snow over winter. As far as I know both are good in your gardening zone. Just a thought.

New patio looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Whysall's column about carpet roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here