Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalmt04_gw

Plumbago plant help?

crystalmt04
13 years ago

I have a few "Plumbago auriculata" plants (6 to be exact) and I'm worried about how they will grow in my raised flower beds. I do not want them taking over everything. In the front flower bed, I'm thinking of relocating the 3 planted there to big pots and put them on my deck (thinking they'll be pretty spilling over the pots to the ground), but I also have a bare spot in the very back of my backyard along a fence that I'm wondering if they would look good there, where I can just let them grow wild and free (and less maintenance).

I have two in my back flower bed and I'm not sure if I should leave them or not. I'm having trouble picturing how big they might get eventually.

So I guess I'm asking for some design help.

Here's a (big) pic of my front flower bed. The plumbago plants are on the left, the middle, and a third to the far right. I just pruned them back a little the other day, they are already getting pretty big for having just been planted in late April.

{{gwi:41037}}

One idea I have is to dig them up and put them in pots along this side of my deck, where they could spill over and down to the ground.

{{gwi:41038}}

My other idea (and possibly the one I'm leaning towards the most) is to plant them here, along the fence and just let them go wild and get as big as they want. This way we get some privacy from the neighbors behind us.

{{gwi:41039}}

And here's another big pic. It's of my other flower bed, which I have two more plumbago plants. You can see the closest one is spreading/growing pretty well.

{{gwi:41040}}

Here's a pic from the other side showing the other plumbago.

{{gwi:41041}}

I'm wondering if I should relocate these too, I don't want them being huge and unruly in my flowerbed. What do you think?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County