Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvetmoonlight

Display house numbers for emergency/ decorative?

velvetmoonlight
14 years ago

I want to make sure that emergency people (emt, fire, etc) can easily find my house so I want to display our house number in a creative way that can be easily read. It will probably be placed in the corner flower bed or near it. Other people complain they cant find our house unless I tell them its on the corner. In an emergency I might not be able to mention that!

I know I can do a rock with our house number or a small picket fence with a plaque. Any other ideas? I tried doing a search on google and didn't have much luck. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• ilikemud_2007
    14 years ago

I don't have a recommendation for you on a creative way to display your house number, but in many areas the house number is painted on the curb near the driveway or mailbox.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Emergency personnel will have no problem finding your home because they are equipped with GPS locators. So, you can forget that concern and do something creative so new friends can find your home easily.

Have fun with it!
    Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• mjjones453
    14 years ago

There are some companies that make reflective kits that come with a stand. You might try a search for that.

• velvetmoonlight
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To everyone-Thanks for the suggestions. We actually don't have a curbs in the neighborhood at all! I guess I can put something up with our numbers and place it in the design or by the design. I just want just do something creative for our corner b/c everyone sees it. Any ideas would be good, if I/we can't come up with something I guess I'll just make it look pretty instead of unique.

• catkim
    14 years ago

Visit this site for the pizza delivery guy's point of view. I got a chuckle out of it. It's directed more toward urban or suburban homes, but you might find something interesting in the "Recommended House Numbers" section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pizza Guy

• velvetmoonlight
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Catkim- I actually saw that site when I was looking for ideas on google. he he. It had some good suggestions like lettering colors to avoid etc. I ended up reading diff parts for fun. I'm looking for something unique to put out, maybe I should just put a plain sign for the house number and put something else out for looks. Still hoping to come up with something though. :)

• velvetmoonlight
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the best idea I could come with so far. Still trying to think of something better. A solar light is a good idea so people can see at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Sign

• catkim
    14 years ago

Can hardly read the numbers on the sign in the photo.

How about some very large hollow stainless steel numbers? Up to 47" tall, quite a statement. Click on the link, then mouse over 'materials' and select 'hollow stainless'. Also visit the gallery for ideas. Gonna cost ya, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollow stainless steel numbers

• drtygrl
    14 years ago

Around here most people do a granite post with their number on it. We don't have curbs either. I like the sign part of your picture but to be honest I am not crazy about the fence.
    Here's a website that might give you some ideas - maybe a lamp post with your number on it?

Here is a link that might be useful: walpole woodworkers

• heather38
    14 years ago

I think your idea of displaying clearly is a good one GPS has its limitations especially if you live in a private road or a place that the GPS gets confused at! the last 2 houses I had, where both on private roads with 4 and 6 other houses, the houses just didn't show up on GPS the road did leading to them which was part of the address, in the first house it was me ringing the emergancy services alot as my dad was ill and I used to have to run out of the house down the road across a parking lot to stand at the end of the road waiting for the ambulance, the next house, I no longer had to do that as my dad had died, but the house at the end had the same problem elderly father who was ill, I was the first house there and if I saw them doing the same vigil I had to do, I would offer to stand there so they could get back, eventually their son built a brilliant sign which looked like and olde worlde, English Pub sign with the names of all the houses on it (no numbers in that village so double confusion!) worked a treat.
    If you are artistic you could do a really cool picture and put a light over it at night. just a thought.

• superpony123
    14 years ago

Well, emergency people do have some of the best GPS equipment, though right now I use a pretty nifty little Garmin Nuvi that cost a pretty penny, and it still sends me to the wrong place sometimes (lol) so I'm sure all these systems have their flaws. But in general, I don't think you have to worry about that as much as maybe the pizza boy finding your house :P

Anyway, You could try painting the numbers creatively on a large rock and placing it near the mailbox. You could also make a pretty mosaic sign. Or even paint some tiles yourself and make your own little sign. I've seen flower-bed numbers, but this won't help in the winter. Also seen rocks in contrasting colors make a large house number, but when it snows you're out of luck too. Try using something reflective or have a light on at night near the numbers so they can be easily seen. Tiles are shiny, and if you wanted to paint on a rock, you could use a metallic paint.

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Hi VML,

How about large glass tiles that are backlit with a small waterfall or fountain. They would be good for day and especially at night. Aloha

• all_wet
    14 years ago

A backlit address sign like this one would work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Address kit