Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

Narrow bed between fence & pool decking

Lil B
10 years ago

I'm looking for ideas on how to work with a narrow bed next to a fence.

We are building a pool, and pool builder just installed the concrete pool decking. (Grading and clean up has not happened yet) I wanted an 18" deep space between the fence and the pool decking so that I could plant small things -- liriope, lambs ear, cast iron plants, ferns, etc. The pool decking is 11" higher than ground (and bottom of cedar fence) at the maximum height. There is also a 3x3 deck cut out allowing me room for a bit larger plant.

The decking is tied into our underground drainage that goes to the street, through a 2" channel drain AND the part without a channel drain will drain into the 3x3 planter cut out.

I understand that raising the beds to the deck level will put dirt next to my fence and rot the wood. What other options do I have?

It seems like these may be my options:
1) Use some sort of metal edging or Trex on the fence
side. Raise beds to deck level or just below.

2) Plant at ground level and use taller plants that reach above the raised decking. This seems like it could be a potential hazard if anyone mis-steps off the deck and falls into the lower planter!

I hope this was not a bad idea. The pool company builds over 200 pools a year, and never said it would be a problem. I have had a bad initial experience with their sister company landscaper. So, we won't be using them for the landscaping part of the job.

3x3' bed cut out, going to 18" deep for approx 25'
{{gwi:41123}}

Artist rendering of entire project.
{{gwi:41124}}

Thank you for the feedback. I used Gardenweb extensively when building our home initially 3+ years ago.

Comments (14)

• catkim
    10 years ago

I would fill it all with smooth, flat, fist-size river stones, and set a tall pot in the 3x3 cutout with a nice plant or three in it.

This post was edited by catkim on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 17:53

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Door #2 ....

Plant vines there, with a short trellis at the edge of the drop-off as a safety barrier

Plant DENSE bushes that will overgrow the edge and keep feet away from the dropoff.

Line the edge of the dropoff with potted plants, or a bench, or something toi give a visual clue that something is there.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

We seem to see a lot of examples on this forum where fences are used as retaining walls, in spite of the fact that the problems created in doing so--rotting of fence and pressure on the fence-- are evident from the onset. Filling the planting bed with plants or some material will make it seem as if the problem is solved, until the fence eventually succumbs. (In spite of that, I'm not suggesting against using that fix.) The real fix is a retaining wall whose elevation is equal to the pool deck, or a regrading, with a slope (on the other side of the fence) that is capable of supporting the pool deck ... and then the fence is placed on top of either of those. There is also going to be rot where the concrete deck abuts the fence and is caulked with some sort of sealant. This seems typical of the type of work one gets when the contractors (builders) are the designers.

• Lil B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info and ideas! The stuff that looks like caulk at the fence line is really a 1/2" foam separator. They told me that they can remove it so there is a bit of a gap there. I hope that is enough room so the fence can breathe a bit.

As for plants -- would a bunch of cast iron plants be enough to fill the narrowest space? It is pretty shady there by the fence. I was trying to think of things that are narrow but taller!!

Fence guys are already coming out next week to build us another gate. Would there be any options on changing the fence at the bottom (i.e. cutting off the cedar part at bottom)? The fence posts are on our neighbor's side and installed just inside the property line, so not sure if we could have a small retaining wall built with bricks basically in line with fence posts??

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I was explaining--for the sake of posterity mostly--how the elements should be arranged. Maybe someone will see it before they create a similar circumstance. If the "foam" is removed, the 1/2" narrow gap is likely to be a place where crud collects and fills the gap again, but it would probably be better than having the gap sealed. You could physically have a retaining wall. It would need to be on your side of the property line and be approved by those-who-approve-such-things. But after you've gotten this far, it's not likely you want to tear things up or have the expense of doing so. It's more likely that you'll want to hide/solve the problem with plants. Cast iron would be a great form and size of plant to use. While it will brown in the winter, it will look good during the pool season. The plant does not like direct sun, so can be used only where you have sufficient shade.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Have someone build a planter box that is 11 inches deep and as long as you like. Put it in the canal. Grow as you wish. You need a separate box for the cut out.

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

A hybrid containing some of the answers above ;

install a beather board of trex adjacent to the fence.
    dump in some smooth tumbled mexican pebbles or thai pebbles.
    ontop of the pebbles place three stunning long rectangle pots - evenly staggered. plant with striking bold summer time foliage plants - canna pretoria would stand out against the dark color fence.

In the square opening plant directly in the ground with an architectural statured trunked small tree .

Check out the containers at Ore containers - they have a fun new LED lit rectangle planter.

• mmmunroe
    4 years ago

Wow. We just put a pool in and I have the exact problem. It would be nice to see how this was resolved, 6 years after the initial post. We were going to put armour stone off of the deck and build privacy screens in between and plant grasses. Very expensive. Then we thought of cedars alternating with privacy screens but I can't fathom how to plan trees in the gap with only the wood fence to "hold the dirt between the pool deck and fence. We just removed cedars we planted beside the fence and there is a lot or rotten wood now that we removed it 14 years later. We are thinking about building a retaining wall by using stakes and weaving a heavy duty plastic band between the stakes and then back filling with dirt and planting the trees in our ready made "trench". We would have to dig down a bit and ensure that the plant balls were covered with rich soil. but it seems the least expensive option. I wish we had the budget to build out with armour stone. That would allows us to have more space for walking and planting around the deck.

• Lil B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Original Poster here: Pics are today. 7 years after pool build. We are essentially using the cedar fence as a small retaining wall behind the decking on my neighbor’s side. We are not on good terms with that neighbor (completely separate issue re: his HUGE tree falling on our property and him not allowing us access to have it trimmed + his hostile attitude). I frankly don’t care what his side looks like. If it was bad, I feel like we would start to see the boards on our side compromised. One day, it will need replaced and we will have to start over with this crossvine and maybe then we will think of a different plan. But I feel like getting 10 years out of this has been a good option

We have tried several things through the years in that narrow bed - from river stones (a mess to keep clean with leaves & acorns falling in there) and different plants. The shrub on the left was just planted a year ago (along with the crossvine directly behind it). and should fill out that space better. I had the large turquoise pot there for years with other pots on its side. I think this look is the best we have tried so far. The crossvine looks beautiful when it blooms, unfortunately it’s so short lived and not during swim season.

• mmmunroe
    4 years ago

Your space is beautiful and you have bridged the gap beautifully. We are also in a contention relationship with our neighbours who do not appreciate the privacy concerns we have with their very high deck and our need to create privacy. We are in a relatively new subdivision and there are no trees to obscure sight lines. The trees are behind our house on a trail and our neighbours on both sides have very old fences. The drop from the deck grade to the ground ranges from 9 inches to 20 inches in different areas. We would like to bring the grade up and plant around the deck to making is safer for the kids and dog and create privacy. There is a 30" gap between deck and fence link.

These pictures show the sides beside our neighbours.

We are currently looking at ways to protect the fence and fill in the gap with dirt. We intend to install privacy screens and add small trees and grasses

Thank you for responding to my comment. Especially 6 years after your post.

• Michael Pinta
    2 years ago

So I have this same issue but have an aluminum fence.. and I can’t plant anything high because we have a lake view.

• mmmunroe
    last year

I had the same problem and It was so challenging. It always looked unfinished and I felt like people would fall off of the edge of the deck. Plus our dog insisted it was a dog run which was kind of gross.

We found a work around. We bought a fence screen from an online store that offers next day delivery (website to remain unnamed. :-)

They come in different lengths, height and colours. (Forgive the mess. We were prepping the spot in front of the equipment to extend the concrete pad and address the gap)

The fence screen we are fast an easy install and this fabric doesn't fade or rip. It allows air to flow through but keeps dirt from going through the fence. After I dug a trent for the trees, I ran the landscape fabric over stones that we placed along the bottom of the fenceto create a basin. then back filled with soil.

Fence fabric

https://www.amazon.ca/Windscreen4less-Privacy-Grommets-Warranty-Customized/dp/B001OJXVKW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=LGXTY2DJMA7U&keywords=fence%2Bscreen&qid=1652055342&sprefix=fence%2Bscreen%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-7&th=1

The chainlink acts like the retaining structure, the fence screen helped to keep everything on myside and the landscape fabric, wood and stone helped with drainage. We have a 20" drop from deck height so we didnt' have to dig down too far to plant cedars and we could fill up the gap with soil.

To break up the green we had cedar privacy screens, strategically placed to be over drainage, and grounding wires for the pool. I plan to plant hydrangea bushes at the base of the cedar screens but my husband wants hicks yews (no maintenance required and all around greenery for those of use who have cold weather 8 months our of the year).

• mmmunroe
    last year

Oh Yeah. Dense yews will fill in but stay low. Plus they grow slowly so not a lot of maintenance. Some yews have bright red berries due to planting (male and female or something of the sort). Not sure how that works. Might not be good with pets and small children. I'm trying to block a view but you're trying to protect yours. Low barrier ( yews) or tall reedy option like Karl Foerster grasses or Purple Fountain grasses will also spread. Slight block of view but still accessible through flowy. Soft grasses.