Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oh no! topsoil filled with nut sedge!!!

Posted by raro (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 16:36

We got the topsoil (3 dump truck full loads) from a reputable company. It was dumped two weeks ago. Now nut sedge is springing up all over the topsoil. This, by the way, is not from the lawn that was there prior to construction. Does the topsoil company share any responsibility for this?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oh no! topsoil filled with nut sedge!!!

Condolences! I have no idea about legal issues, but I saw this on a thread once: Image (about a third of the way down the page) was recommended for nutsedge control in lawns (it kills other grasses also).
http://www.cooperseeds.com/lawnchem.php3?cat=weedcontrol#ornamec

Here's the Univ. of California's IPM page for nutsedge:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

As difficult as it is to believe, nutsedge is intentionally planted; the tubers are used to make horchata.

I'm so lucky here that I have three kinds of nutsedge (yellow and some purple nutsedge in the former pasture and green kylinga taking over the lawn). The nutsedges came with the house, but billions of little artemisia roots were part of a load of topsoil I bought a couple of years ago, so I can commiserate.

I have successfully eradicated yellow nutsedge from certain small areas of lawn, simply by pulling the plants -- but I didn't have the same scale of problem that you have.

o

hello there missingtheobvious, I am in central NC. Thanks for commiserating. The information says to hit back early and hard with mechanical methods.

I never heard that about horchata. Ref? I always have made horchata out of rice or almonds. Did you know about the origins of horchata? The almond version was rought to Spain by the Moors when they conquered Spain in 711 and then brought to the new world by the Spaniards when they conquered the new world in the 1400's and adapted to what we drink today.

o

Hi, raro! I am south of AVL, not really in the mountains, but in-between them.

Earlier this year I was reading a garden thread on another site. Some poor, deluded woman in TN had bought tubers to grow her own horchata ingredient. She was all excited at the prospect. I wasn't a member of that site, and seriously thought about joining just to scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Here's an article about nutsedge and horchata:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/grow-it/nutsedge-edible-zb0z11zsie.aspx

For many years I worked in a predominantly-Mexican community. I love most Mexican food, but the only time I had horchata I knew I never had to try it again. I've no idea what the ingredients were; maybe I'd like another type of horchata.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here