Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my USDA hardiness zone wrong?

Posted by Violet.West none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:42

So, I moved from 79912 (El Paso TX) 12 miles away to 88008 (Santa Teresa, NM). According to the USDA hardiness zone website, I'm not in El Paso's 8b zone anymore --it's 7a.

But . . . I think it's wrong. It says 7a's average minimum temp is -15 degrees F. This really isn't so -- 8b's 15-20 degrees F is more common.

It's true that my move took me from the foothills to the valley, which I expect to make some difference, but I really don't think I'm in 7a.

I guess I'll have to ask the master gardeners around here, but have you experienced any errors or problems with the USDA maps?

And . . . y'all in the West, do you use the Sunset zones? I'm in Sunset Zone 10 for both zipcodes.

Also . ./rant/ . I hate the way GardenWeb has split its forums up into all those separate forums and no way to consolidate them, which is why I'm posting this question here in the landscape design, which is active, instead of the Southwest forum, which has barely any activity. /rant end/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my USDA hardiness zone wrong?

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 22:57

Cold air flows downhill and will collect in a valley, so the colder temperatures are entirely possible. When the cold are is flowing past, it doesn't affect the plants as much as the still pool of cold air in a valley. I looked at the Sunset description of zone 10 and it mentioned lows of -1 to -4F and 'dustings of snow'.

o

yeah, it snows here some, but not much. But it'll get down in the teens rarely.

In Feb. 2011 we had a "Big Freeze" which was a huge disaster (killed a lot of plants and trees, froze our power plant so the city didn't have heat, froze pipes so people didn't have water) -- but it was a once-in-a-lifetime event, and the temps were around 10 degrees F (not below zero). So I still think USDA zone 7a is too low.

o

I think zone 6 is -10 to 0 F. I have books, but I need a magnifying glass to see the fine print.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here