Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help w/ front beds . . .disheveled

Posted by dentiphile 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 16:42

Hi all,

Great forums!

I wanted to get some thoughts about my front beds. I was getting sick of the mulch so added a bunch of periwinkle ground cover. I had a lot of bulbs planted before also (daffodils, tulips) as well as a flowering dogwood. Any thoughts on what I can do to make it a "wow" factor! any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help w/ front beds . . .disheveled

more pics

o

thanks!

o

I see recommendations given here pushing variety over simplicity, based on the general principle that greater variety provides greater interest. I think that nearly the opposite is true. Simplicity provides clarity and visual strength. 10 small things might say "wow" -- if one is taking the time to ponder each one separately. But collectively they say "let's all scream at once and see if anyone can figure out what we're trying to say!" With landscaping, it's generally the overall message that means something so "wow" generally comes in fewer LARGE statements instead many small ones ... clean, distinct, pleasing shapes and forms being much more important than having more things.

I would not place things that will get higher than a few inches between the drive and the front lawn. As the plants grow, it will make the driveway seem corralled instead of roomy. Keep shrubs there consolidated ... they could could go in islands at each end of the bed so the linear barricade doesn't happen.

I think the bed needs a little re-shaping in order not to seem odd where it is supposed to be accommodating the small tree. They should fit together well. And, of course, use fewer plant types. I think single, large masses of color say a lot more than little bits of it all over the place. I hope the picture helps explain the general concept.

(Over the long term a solid bed of groundcover is more practical and better looking than a bed of mulch, so that's a good move.)

o

Great look! What plants are in your plan? I'm zone 6

o

I'm using what you already have. Other than the groundcover, I don't know what they are.

o

The structure itself provides wow factor. You are just used to your house so you don't notice it. That being said, I like what Yardvark provided for you but if you choose not to do it you will still have a lovely home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here