Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpovey

Border/edge around screen enclosure

cpovey
14 years ago

Greetings all,

Long-time GW member, mostly in kitchens and appliances.

Now, I need some help with a landscaping problem. I have an in-ground pool in my backyard that is surrounded by a screen enclosure, generally called a birdcage around here.

The birdcage sits almost at the edge of the pool deck, so it is impossible to use a weed whacker without tearing up the lower screens. In addition, many plants done here in Florida creep, and eventually send runners through the screen.

So, what I want to do is create a border around my pool deck, say roughly 2 foot wide. This is wide enough I can use a weed eater without fear, and would also give me a place where I could see plants creeping then attack them with Round-up.

I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of brick, so I was thinking of smallish stones, river rock, large marble chips, etc. What do you all think of this idea? How thick would it have to be-we have very sandy soil. Any pictures?

In addition, will I need some form of outside 'edge' stick in the ground to keep this border area neat looking? Would pressure treated lumber suffice?

I am open to any and all other ideas, except concrete, which would violate an easement.

Thanks, in advance.

Colin

Comment (1)