Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Border/edge around screen enclosure

Posted by cpovey Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 16:44

Greetings all,

Long-time GW member, mostly in kitchens and appliances.

Now, I need some help with a landscaping problem. I have an in-ground pool in my backyard that is surrounded by a screen enclosure, generally called a birdcage around here.

The birdcage sits almost at the edge of the pool deck, so it is impossible to use a weed whacker without tearing up the lower screens. In addition, many plants done here in Florida creep, and eventually send runners through the screen.

So, what I want to do is create a border around my pool deck, say roughly 2 foot wide. This is wide enough I can use a weed eater without fear, and would also give me a place where I could see plants creeping then attack them with Round-up.

I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of brick, so I was thinking of smallish stones, river rock, large marble chips, etc. What do you all think of this idea? How thick would it have to be-we have very sandy soil. Any pictures?

In addition, will I need some form of outside 'edge' stick in the ground to keep this border area neat looking? Would pressure treated lumber suffice?

I am open to any and all other ideas, except concrete, which would violate an easement.

Thanks, in advance.

Colin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Border/edge around screen enclosure

Stones would look great at first but would gradually be home to weeds and then you'd have to move the stones to get the weeds out. Nope not my cup of tea.

Edge with your pressure treated wood. Lay down a thick layer of newspapers over the weeds and grass that is there tucking it under the wood and put wood bark or chip mulch on top of the paper The paper and mulch will kill off anything under it. You will have to do this every couple of years because the paper and mulch will rot down but it's better than digging weeds out of rock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here