Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with landscaping ideas.

Posted by kikiboi nevada (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 17:00

I just bought my first house, and i need some ideas of what you would do to make my front yard beautiful. i want a more modern dessert landscape.

i uploaded some photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with landscaping ideas.

Where is your entry/ front door?
Maybe a photo from that angle, too?

o

I don't know if you are in northern or southern Nevada but either way I'm glad you are opting for a desert landscape in the driest state in the US. We've lived in Las Vegas for 22 years and desert landscaping has become increasingly common here and there are so many great examples around town to look at and get ideas from.

That is what I would do if I were you. I don't know what you mean by modern desert landscaping but certainly the landscaping I see in newer communities are usually nicer than some of the older ones. If you don't have good examples in your neighborhood you could go to some of the newer areas and try to find a look you like and then try to copy it.

I would make sure to put some thing to hide your hose and piping up against the front of your house. Agaves do great here but you might not want something with thier wicked spines by your walk but a smaller variety of texas ranger(leucophyllum) or baccharis kept pruned might work for you there. I don't know what way your house faces or if you are in So N. but aloe vera grows well here in LV so long as it isn't in the west sun exposure and it would be taller than wide and might look nice up against your house and maybe have a bit of a modern look.

Your tree looks like it might be a desert willow. They are great trees but can look a little rough in the winter if you have a variety that keeps its seed pods when it loses its leaves. I would be sure to put in plants that will look good in the winter to off set that.

There are some great choices and the desert plants are much more likely to survive and be healthy than non desert plants.

Maria

o

Personally I tend to take a sculptural approach when someone has a fairly blank flat canvas and says they want a modern approach.
Using boulders, stone and steel to create patterns in which to layer in distinctly bold foliage plants.

To see some inspirational photos you might enjoy the website Houzz.
Type in modern desert landscape and see what comes up.

Here is a link that might be useful: houzz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here