Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
side of house

Posted by jeanerz13 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:01

After a heavy rain a few weeks ago, I noticed something like 2 or 3 inches of standing water along the side of the house. There was also a wet area on the foundation that made it appear the water level had been even higher. I'm thinking I need to put in some dirt to level out the ground and make it slope away from the house so water doesn't pool there. Then, I was thinking of planting there so the dirt doesn't just wash away.

Usually when I see plantings on he side of the house (not front), they're just a foot or so deep...big enough for a single row of daylilies or something. Would it look strange to have that side planting be deeper than that? I'm thinking that if I do this, I might want it to come far enough out to go around the chimney, but I'm worried it might look funny.

Also not sure if it should be a continuation of the front bed or a seperate bed. I'm thinking it should be a continuation with some snakey curves to come around the corner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: side of house

I'd imagine in a heavy rain, water just spills over the sides of your short splash block adding to any pooling. How fast does it dissipate? Is your meter read by remote? If so, something (smallish) in front of it doesn't matter. Not sure a single row of daylilies would make too much of an impact against the whole lot of white on that side - consider a bit of layering of two and three deep plantings with things that don't mind getting their feet wet occasionally.

Link is to a long list of wet/damp condition plants prepared by Clemson Univ. some of which could be useful to you in your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant list

o

I meant the row of daylilies as an example of how narrow the strip is that I usually see on the side of houses...I was just wondering if it would look funny to have the planting area thicker than that on the side of the house :/ And yeah, the splash block probably doesn't help...There's actually 2 there... one on top of the other...for awhile the top one had the back end lower than the front so all the water ran backwards. When I noticed that one day I piled stuff under the back end so it could get to the 2nd one...but I think once it drains out, it's still at the bottom of the slope so it just comes back. Ugh. Here's a picture I took when it had all that standing water:

I don't know how the gas meter is read...I guess I'd have to call them and ask...I wouldn't want to hide more than just the bottom part of it (in case they had to repair or replace it or something) -- maybe a short groundcover?

Thanks for the link -- I'll look into it :)

Any thoughts about going around the chimney? Or do you think I should keep it in line with the chimney? I was thinking it would be nice to block off the chimney with the planting border at least (if not with plants actually in front of it). There's a corner that is damaged -- probably hit by a lawn mower. I'm going to have it repaired soon, but it would be nice to have it blocked so it doesn't get damaged like that again. Also, there's a bare spot under the bottom of the chimney where nothing grows, so if I did plants in front I would be hiding that.

o

"Usually when I see plantings on the side of the house (not front), they're just a foot or so deep... This is only because people see side their yards less so don't want to spend much money there. Also, chronically, they never allow enough room for plants to grow properly. A foot isn't even enough room for a row of day lilies. It should be at least 3 times that. There is no reason you can't make a decent size landscape bed at the side of your house. I would not introduce a "snakey curve" bed line however. A simple radius curve, like what you have now would look better. You definitely need to raise the grade along the side so the water drains away from the house. Actually, grade at the front looks a little high (too close to the siding. You might consider lowering it one course and reshaping the bed to go around the corner so that it was one integrated structure.

o

When you say lower it one course, do you mean remove one layer of bricks? I know the bricks go higher up than the dirt/rock. What is the minimum amount of space that needs to be between the top of the bed material and bottom of the siding?

o

"What is the minimum amount of space that needs to be between the top of the bed material and bottom of the siding?"It depends on who you talk to, but the ball park min. is 6" to 8". It looks like you have 3" to 4". Lowering the bed one course of brick would get you closer to the ball park.

o

would it "look funny"? No, I don't think so, and furthermore, if you like it who cares? Is there a gate in your fence there? If so, make sure you factor in appropriate access to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here