Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fence on retaining wall?

Posted by carolsue_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 17:04

We would like to put a PVC fence on top of (rather than next to) a retaining wall in order to save space. Our fence builder is advising against that, saying the fence will be stronger if it is installed into the soil. Does anybody know about this issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fence on retaining wall?

How tall of a wall? What's it made of? As a general rule I'd agree with your fence builder but depending on some specifics you *might* get away with it. However, if your installer says it's a bad idea, then 1) s/he probably knows from assessing the site and 2) will probably insist you sign a waiver releasing them from any damage to the fence OR WALL in the event of a problem. Again, I don't know the site; but I've seen where a fence atop a retaining wall has basically acted as a sail and blown over, taking a chunk of the wall with it. Unless the wall was constructed specifically to accomodate a fence at the the top, I don't know as that I'd risk it.

Dave

o
RE: thanks

Thanks, Dave. The wall is made of wood and at its highest point will be two feet tall. The PVC fence will be 6 feet. The fence company said they would put a steel something in the wall if they put the wall on top.

o

Can you say, "Sue me."?

Two feet in the ground is barely enough -- and you want to go two feet above the ground!

... and people wonder why there are building codes. :-(

IronBelly

o

One of the issues is that if the wall was built properly, it'll have at least a foot of aggregate (gravel) backfill behind it. This, and the fact that the soil behind the wall is probably not compacted, will allow the fenceposts to move too much in the wind. *If* I were to do this, I'd want to treat the bottom of my wall as if it were grade, and have my fenceposts (or whatever the steel is they're referring to) set the requisite depth below that- in other words, if you have a 24" tall wall and the fenceposts need to be 36" down (not saying that's the depth- I do walls, not fences), your posts will extend 5' below the grade at the top of the wall. Just think about the physics that are at play here, and proceed cautiously.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here