Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping ideas & suggestions

Posted by special2usa 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:21

Hi All,

hope you can help me with some landscaping ideas for my front yard.

The front yard gets Sun nearly all day
Zone: 5b

I would like to keep the hostas plants incorporated in the update. Will be updating the retaining wall so it would run across the entire span of the yard. Thought about adding White Grosso Lavender. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping ideas & suggestions

Another pic of the entire yard.

The only time it doesn't get sun is starting at 6pm.

o

Special, I can't get a sense of the house because the trees and large shrubs are blocking so much of it. Where does one enter? The shrubs need different pruning. From the same place you took the second picture, could you return and show one aiming leftward so we could see what's over there?

o

Left side of home and main entrance. I just recently purchased the house a month ago so I know there are plenty of projects I have to complete starting in the fall.

o

Here are some suggestions to spruce and tidy it up. The notes are on the drawing.

If you don't begin limbing up the trees soon, it's going to be much more difficult to do after allowing more growth.

o

Thanks Yardvaark! I was thinking about removing the random bushes on the left side of the pic (by the mailbox) and keeping it only grass. What are your thoughts? Is there something I can mix the Hostas with to get a pop of color? I love the smell of lavender, but not sure if they will work with hosts.

o

In dim light, random shrubs dotting the yard can seem eerily similar to tombstones in a cemetery.

If by "mix with Hosta" you mean intermix as one would blend something together, I would not do. Find other places for colorful things ... as I found that spot right next to your steps. Right now, getting some of the other things done is more important than finding spots for color. And in getting some of those things done, spots where color could go will appear as if by magic.

o

First the tree trimming. If you don't have a pole saw buy one. The other thing that does not please my eye is the look of dot to dot beds. It looks like two beds connected by a bridge of Hostas.If you remove just a few inches of lawn I think it would look like a long sweeping bed from the porch to the other side.

Mature shrubs are an asset so you may want to leave a few of them. If they are deciduous you can likely cut them back to restore them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here