Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_marie3

please help, need design ideas

jennifer_marie3
13 years ago

looking for suggestions/plans/hints/tips on landscaping for my home. when we moved in we ripped up all of the overgrown foundation plants, and now we are starting to think about landscape design, the whole house is southwest facing in midwest michigan zone 5, out front is 5 winter gemm boxwoods, on the right is a dwarf japanese maple surrounded by 3 goldmound spirea. i intend to place a dwarf hopi crape myrtle tree in the nook behind it, as there is a dryer vent near it and its sheltered from harsh weather, with a dwarf hardy crape myrtle bush in front of the vent. i have 3 more magic carpet spirea i intend to place on the left hand side of the house with a bloomerand lilac bush/ a dwarf hinoki cypress somehow incorporated, but just thoughts nothing concrete, accents plants for shady area will prob. var. hosta, purple heuchera. please hit me with all your thoughts ideas/constructive critics

{{gwi:41322}}

{{gwi:41323}}

{{gwi:41324}}

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae233/jennifer_marie3

Comments (4)

• iloverpinkoses
    13 years ago

The first thing I would do is add a White Trellis - like 3 feet wide x 5' tall to the front wall of the house (front right part,to the right of the 2 pink plants) -
    and grow pink climbing roses there.

To the left of the window (same side as above) I would hang a pretty address plaque.

Consider putting shutters on your windows (louvered in country blue color) w/ flower boxes underneath. That would look so pretty.

I would build a step for your front door.

For the front left side I would make that a seating area, even if u won't be using it. I would put a long flower box under the window. Then add pretty flowers. Place flagstones in an informal pattern forming a patio/seating area and bring it out the edge of the step. Then put 2 white rocking chairs and a tiny side table OR 2 Adirondack chairs .

I would add charm with a small detail - a new gingerbread front screen/storm door. go to victoriandoors.com and see Alexandria - that's the prettiest one. Have them prime it and u paint it white.

Consider removing the mini blinds and replacing them with a pretty lace curtain to add charm.

I would also replace your containers on the stoop with white square cottage-y looking ones and plant hot pink geraniums in there.

Paint the iron post railing by your stoop White. You can train pink clematis up there if desired.

Think about curving your pathway to the sidewalk, brick would be so pretty.

Hope this helps!

• fanofgarden
    13 years ago

I would add some fragrance to the yard by planting 3 fragrant roses between the boxwood. One of them could be Hybrid Tea 'Tiffany'. It is a fragrant star in my backyard.
    And also in front of them a row of English lavender, or long blooming Wallflower Erysimum 'Bowles' Mauve' would look nice and add color year round (Those two are all evergreen with grayish leaves which could add contrast with boxwoods)

• freki
    13 years ago

You need some height. Maybe a rose on the corner with the fallpipe, and a japonica under the window, on a short trellis. I would move that rock forward, to the end of the entry way, and put a low shrubby thing in it's place.

You could try a non-fixed wooden step in front of the door to see if you like it, and more containers under the porch.

The centre part.. well, lavender loves full sun and dry, and Munstead is definitely hardy in zone 5. Maybe expand that section into the lawn and plant some roses, lavender, maybe another japanese maple to "pick up" the other maple you have near there, and some of the stuff you have already mentioned. Mind you, I have a thing for removing lawn and making gardens bigger, YMMV.

• isabella__MA
    13 years ago

What does the entire house front look like ? I think it's like looking at a plus sign?

Don't feel constrained to replant in the same beds the overgrown stuff was removed from, as it looks like the house architecture and the previous plantings didn't work well either.