Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Boring wall, any suggestions??

christy2828
17 years ago

The side of my house is about 30 feet long, with NOTHING there to hide the concrete. There is a 6 foot fence that runs parallel to it, with a width of about 10 feet. The concrete on the house is between 6 and 7 feet until it hits the siding.

I am thinking of some sort of shrub to put there. I am zone 6-7 in Maryland. The gate is functional, so I am thinking that I would want something that is tall, but not so wide. I would love something that flowers (attractive to hummingbirds even better). Also, maybe something that is evergreen, so it hides that wall all year.

There is also a Jack Russel that loves to hunt. It would need to be something sturdy, that could endure her constant search for living creatures.

The house faces South, so it gets LOTS of afternoon sun. With 90 degree summers, it can stifle even my petunias. Any suggestions would be very helpful!! Thanks in advance! Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Pictures

Comments (11)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

How about a series of trellis panels, placed about a foot away from the foundation wall. With only 10 feet to work with, and allowing a couple of feet between mature shrubs and wall for air circulation and access for maintenance, you won't have much space left. There are tall narrow shrubs, maybe you could use a cluster or two of those in between the trelliswork.

I'm guessing you won't see this area much in the winter? If so, you need not worry about evergreens, but there are several tall and narrow ones available. Pyracantha is thorny, so you don't want to use it where people will walk by a lot, but it has colorful berries in winter.

Maybe you could build trellises similar to the one in the link below, but in wider sections?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:41336}}

• laag
    17 years ago

I second Saypoint's suggestion.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Would you suggest vines on the trellis, or just the trellis by itself? Thanks! Christy

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Vines. Check out online catalogs and searchable databases for vines that will grow in your area. Check out the Vines forum for suggestions, and the pros and cons of specific vines. There are also shrubby plants that lend themselves to espaliering on a trellis, like Pyracantha.

• laag
    17 years ago

I second again. Roses, climbing hydrangea, Manhattan euonymus, clematis, honeysuckle, Boston ivy, grapes, or even morning glory are but a few. You could espalier apple trees, weeping blue atlas cedar, ... it just never ends.

• karinl
    17 years ago

I'd be leery of vines, roses, or anything deciduous simply because everything I've ever tried to grow against a wall or fence leaned out like crazy in pursuit of the sun. Except for conifers, most of which appear to grow evenly in all directions, even towards the wall/fence. With deciduous stuff I was constantly pruning things to keep them back, and they never seemed to achieve their aesthetic potential because I was hacking at them all the time. Plus I had to tie them to the fence, which you will have trouble doing with your concrete wall.

That is why I would tend to aim for a rather more groomed look using conifers of various sorts, depending on your taste. All of one type in a row, essentially a hedge against your house, is an option, or you can group and stagger them for a more "natural" look. Junipers, pines, and Chamaecyparises, among others, should be able to take that sun, and the Jack Russel.

And you can garden it up with annuals, perennials, and maybe a meandering pathway from which to tend them, if you like, and never have to think about the wall.

Or you could always make it productive and grow tall tomatoes, corn, and such! (You might need the trellises to tie them to, though)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Of course everyone has different personal experiences, but unless your fence is very tall (and the photos indicate it is standard height), there shouldn't be any difficulty in growing something along/on it that will won't lean excessively. In summer when the sun is nearly directly overhead, this is pretty moot anyway.

And growing on trellis adjacent to a south facing wall is no problem - plenty of light in this situation. I'd consider espaliers - they could be productive fruiting plants or just ornamentals. They require a bit of maintenance to keep trained and sized, but generally offer a tidier appearance than vines. A mix of both might be appealing.

OTOH, unless your side yard is used for major access and movement of garden equipment (mowers, etc.), 10' is plenty wide enough to include a pathway and more diverse plantings. I have a similar situation in my side yard (west facing) and take adavantage of the reflected heat from the house to grow some rather more tender shrubs and an assortment of perennials. I have an arbor that defines the entry into the back garden and grow vines on it, as well as climbing roses on the fence. And it is one less section of lawn to mow and tend :-)

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I like both the suggestion of vines, and of conifers and perennials. But with a West facing wall and I think I forgot to add clay soil, which would work best? It is also well drained, being downhill. Also, I would love to add in a pathway, but I am afraid of ice and snow. I don't want my DH to slip and fall, or the dogs. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!! Christy

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

There are plants from all groups that will thrive in clay soil. For perennials, or to widen your selection of shrubs and woody vines, amending the whole planting area with compost is not a bad idea. Most shrubs can (and should) be planted in native soil, local nurseries will tell you which ones will do well with your site conditions: Clay soil, well-drained (clay stays wet longer anyway) afternoon sun. There is disagreement over whether planting holes for shrubs should be amended, see the Shrubs forum for those discussions. Also check out the Soil forum.

If this is going to be a regularly used route in the winter, install a path that can be shoveled. Bluestone or manufactured pavers on a base of crushed stone and sand would probably be best. Stepping stones are not good for use in winter, as they are hard to keep clear.

Would you be doing the installation of the path yourself?

Have you posted your questions on vines, conifers and perennials on the forums that cover those topics? Done some reading at the library? Searched the web for information on plants for your site?

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started with vines last year. My favorite is a native to this area the Dragon Lady Crossvine Bignonia Capreolata. I've started this year with some Morning Glorys, Moonvines and Cardinal Climbers.
    I've started dappling with native perennials over the past year, and just started visiting the conifers site here on GW.
    I am a SAHM, so all I do is search the web for information about plants that catch my eye around the neighborhood. I love the site "Name that Plant". I carry my Digital Camera around and snap shots all of the time!!
    I honestly didn't even know the difference between an annual and a perennial a year and a half ago. I'm from Miami, I guess everything there is perennial and completely different from here.
    I have recently tested the soil for N, P, K, and Ph, and have found that all are fine except for the Phosphorous. My next step is to figure out how to fix that! And, I've been making my own compost for a little over a year now.
    Mostly, my husband will be doing the grunt work, he's good like that :) Thanks again for your suggestions, Christy

• rosie
    17 years ago

Can't resist jumping in as a gardener, because with vines, shrubs, and perennials, it sounds as if you might like this passage to be garden. If so, I'd suggest going the last step and bringing arches over from the trellis panels to the fence every ten feet or so, with vines growing over, of course. This would still allow sun and air movement but would focus attention downward to the passage itself and the experience of moving through it, as well as cool it down somewhat. As for choosing plants, maybe highlighting a favorite here? If it's not a windtunnel, it could be a great place for fragrance. For easy care, skypencil hollies, a tidy variegated ivy, hostas, with lilies along the sides in the summer? These all do well in clay. On the wilder side, a place for the violets and mint you don't want to run loose everywhere else, and almost any vines? Regarding shrubs, this place sounds protected enough for Sweet Olive, Osmanthus fragrans, to do well. Other than winter hardiness, it's very tough, but you'd want to keep it trimmed back, not a difficult task as it's naturally tidy. A new selection 'Nanjing Beauty' apparently aka 'Fudingzhu' would be the one to look for. Best wishes.