Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelzmike_gw

Getting rid of dense brush growth

shelzmike
13 years ago

{{gwi:41344}}

In addition to my other post, I also have another issue - on the side of house there used to be a large area of nasty looking brush, weeds, vines, and birds of paradise over there. For the longest time I wondered why the nursing home that we are neighbors with did not do anything with it - I assumed they didn't really mind it. Just a couple of years ago I acually discovered that the property boundaries were displayed wrong and that was actually part of our yard! Great, I thought..this stuff looked tough. (You can see this behind my daughter on the right of her - this was in the late fall and it gets WAY bigger than this in the summer)

We live in a pretty rural area and pretty much everyone that I asked stated that the only way to really do anything with it was to burn it! HA! Not a good idea I thought - not to mention the fact that it is somewhat close to my house and the nursing home just down the road.

So, I sort of let it go and it got worse pretty fast - encroaching on my actual yard. This year was my year to start tackling this challenge. So, I first got out the chainsaw and cut down all the birds of paradise - there was a bunch and they were huge!

Then I sprayed the whole area with tough brush killer and it has done an okay job - okay except for the fact that I didn't realize how much "vine" was actually in there - so now I have a bunch of vine and dead leaves and am not sure why my next steps should be. I want to get it all out of there and do not mind if it has to go down to dirt first. I can then start working on planting some grass - this would open up our yard so much and I really want to win this "battle"! Thanks again!

Mike

Comments (4)