Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Night Delight (vi's hot garden)

Posted by Violet.West 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 17:52

I've been trying hard to capture and share the pleasure my yard gives me in the evenings with only limited success. iPhone pics are great but the night ones not so good.

ETA: GW faked me out. Here's the additional stuff.

I wanted to post these to show that my main use for the function is to enjoy the sunsets and evenings, so an example of designing for function and for a specific site.

Also, a judicious use of lighting can really make a difference. I have two inexpensive solar lights which highlight my desert plants, and my most fave thing ever - the silly fairy lights! (Bliss lights). That thing wasn't cheap, but the amount of pleasure it's given me over the past year is immeasurable.

I love sitting out there and watching the lights come on in the distance over the wall, and the sunsets. And even though you guys made fun of me for my lighted arches idea (not implemented); and even though the yard is still mostly dirt right now, I'm still getting a huge kick out of it.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 18:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Night Delight (vi's hot garden)

Bliss lights in the palo verde

o

The other end

o

Looks very nice.

We have city light views, and opted for no solar so we only have lighting when we want. Too much lighting makes the stars hide. We didn't want to pay an electrician, so what did we do?

Started drinking cheap wine for dinner that comes in screw top bottles. We then put an x in the lids, threaded tiki torch wicks through the X, filled the bottles half with water and half with tiki torch fluid. Screwed the cap on, and let there be light! I got this idea on pinterest.

They were amazing on the 4th of July. This year people could actually see the stairs. Wish I had taken photos, but hostesses don't have time for that. Here is just one photo of a test we did. We put most of them in nursery pots with a little dirt for stabilization.

o

oh, so cool! and you have water (sigh)

I understand what you mean about the light when you want. Someday I'll put low voltage lighting out there, but for now I'm happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here