Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Help me pick a tree.

rakin
9 years ago

{{gwi:41412}}
I need a nice specimen for the left center of the lawn. You can see where I just recently removed a sweet gum. (patch of sod that is not yet green).
We just finished this construction in the fall, and I tried to save it, but even with treatments, it just didn't make it.
I will be putting the new tree about 15-20 feet to the left of where the old tree was.
Issues that might need to be taken into consideration:
The low (ditch) area allows the water from a natural creek bed on the adjoining property to run off during rain. So the tree will receive plenty of water, sometimes it stays wet for a day or two, depending on the amount of rain. Also, the sprinkler lines run almost directly down the center of the low area. I am not sure if trees can harm the lines or not.
I am in zone 7b (Memphis) and the house faces West. The photo was taken at 5pm. The shade on the ground is coming from the property facing mine, but the shade would not reach the tree top until around 6 or so for a 15-20 foot tree.
Oh, and I would like something that will top out at the height of the house. Taking into consideration the elevation difference, that would be about 40-50 feet max. Nothing slow growing.
Just off the top of my head, I was thinking about an October Glory Maple.

{{gwi:41413}}
View from entering traffic's perspective.

Comments (4)

• toottee (6b)
    9 years ago

Other suggestions for tall - sun - moist could be:
    Ogon dawn redwood (Metasequoia Glyptostroboides Ogon)
    or a form of Willow. I prefer Salix Alba Tristis.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It looks like the former planting site is almost at bottom of ditch. I'd move it uphill some. Unless a tree is known to grow in wet ground (such as bald cypress) most would not like it. In order so as the tree doesn't shade foundation plantings, you might consider moving between ditch and street, like midway between. It looks like there's room according to your second picture. Don't know why you would want the tree to be same height as house. You should be looking BELOW its canopy to view house. So a tree that gets larger -- especially with increased distance away from house -- would be better. (Your house is probably less than 30' height.) The maple seems fine.

• rakin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Ogon dawn redwood (Metasequoia Glyptostroboides Ogon) "

I like the look, but think that it may grow too tall.

"It looks like the former planting site is almost at bottom of ditch. I'd move it uphill some. Unless a tree is known to grow in wet ground (such as bald cypress) most would not like it. In order so as the tree doesn't shade foundation plantings, you might consider moving between ditch and street, like midway between. It looks like there's room according to your second picture. Don't know why you would want the tree to be same height as house. You should be looking BELOW its canopy to view house. So a tree that gets larger -- especially with increased distance away from house -- would be better. (Your house is probably less than 30' height.) The maple seems fine."

Yes, the last tree was almost in the ditch. I was thinking of moving it back a few feet. With the slope, the water would run off well enough, but eventually it will put out roots into the ditch area. Going on the other side of the ditch is something that I have thought about, but I know that there are fiber optic cables that run somewhere in that vicinity. The landscaper opted to move the sprinklers in closer to the ditch area to avoid hitting anything, so I figure that If he was concerned with it, then I should be as well. However, one tree is a lot different than an entire run of piping. I may ask him about it.
    On the height, I guess I didn't express myself well. I want the canopy to reach the the roof line of the house, so that the house can be seen from beneath, as you suggest. But I don't want something that will tower too high above. For instance, those trees at the back right corner are mostly pin oaks. The are beautiful where they are, but they are about 60 feet high. The shadow being cast on my front lawn is also from pin oaks that my neighbor kept when his house was constructed. Although he sits on an even higher hill than I, the trees are still about 30 feet above his roof. It gives a secluded look (which I can appreciate) but I prefer something more open and inviting. Does that make sense?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I think that "secluded," non-welcoming look you are trying to avoid comes from all the low-hanging limbs and foliage ... not what is well above and visually out of the way.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida