Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retaining a DG Patio? (on tiny slope)

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 18:49

I want to install a decomposed granite patio in part of my lawn. The lawn is not perfectly flat, but the patio must be.
There is a 6-8" difference in grade from one end of the patio to the other. I wanted to use the same black metal edge banding to retain the patio (I've used it throughout my property) but it is only 4 inches tall - not enough to act as a mini retaining wall...
Is there anything else I can use in conjunction with the edge banding or independent of it? I don't really want to introduce a new material. Thanks for the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retaining a DG Patio? (on tiny slope)

It makes a difference if the 6" - 8" grade differential is spread over 8' or 28'. What dimensions of patio will you be creating? Why do you think the patio must be "perfectly flat"? Even a DG patio needs some pitch to drain.

o

The dimensions of the patio are 16' x 18'.

o

Could you create the patio as a landing such that at the high end the LAWN is retained by the metal edging and that at the low end the PATIO is retained by same (like it's a step)? That doubles the amount of grade differential you can accommodate with the edging. Combined with pitch of the patio itself (you did not answer that question but you must make drainage right ... or suffer) you should be able to make it work. In other words, at one end of the patio one steps down from the lawn to the patio. At the opposite end one steps down from the patio to the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here