Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 acre needs help

Posted by lomonacov 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 19:13

I have one acre for a backyard and I need help. What can I do with it? I'm in Zone 9, which means it gets VERY hot in summer (109 degrees right now).

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 acre needs help

Is there something you have in mind? Like a garden or growing vegetables?

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 20:44

What state is this? Is this your permanent residence?

First step: dream. Go ahead and dream big, it's free! It's helpful to think ahead to how you want to use your space. Recreation? Grow your own fruits and vegetables?

What are your known challenges? Deer? Lack of rain? What is your soil like?

While dreaming, think of bones first. Hardscape: patio? paths? pergola? pavilion? pool? (can't think of any more p's) Trees -- they take time to grow and get big, so plan and select carefully.

Get all your measurements down and translate them into a sketch on graph paper. Try some "bubble diagrams" with your use zones in mind. Think how these zones might connect with your home or with paths.

That's probably enough to stimulate your thinking for now...

o

Thank you both. I guess I should decide what type of thing I want...garden or recreation area.

o

You could have both :P 1 acre is a lot of room!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here