Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsimms_gw

A _really_ large pergola....

lsimms
15 years ago

My garden sunlight has changed dramatically for the loss of 2 huge trees. They shaded the entire back garden for 30 years and now they're gone.

Now, my afternoon garden is searing hot. After almost expiring while I was preparing my garden for an afternoon party, I bot a canopy...which worked out beautifully for the party.

Got me thinking...would a really large pergola kind of structure be unreasonable? The canopy I got is 10x15 and to make a pergola work in the space...it would hafta be longer and wider.

Would that be ridiculous? It's a quick fix in lieu of waiting for another tree or two.

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• karinl
    15 years ago

As long as you make it structurally sound, it doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all. You might like to consult someone for advice on structures as a collapsing pergola would really spoil a party. Maybe a central post or two would be wise.

Other than that, it should be gorgeous! In a recent post someone had a photo of a new pergola... and a search for that word brings up plenty of threads, so see what other info you can find there.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: one pergola thread

• davek913
    15 years ago

As Karin said, as long as you make it structurally sound, it's feasible, but probably not a DIY project. For something that size (If freestanding) you would probably be talking 6x6 support posts set in concrete with 2x8, 2x10 lintels/beams. If it were smaller I would say 2x8, but you would want to maintain some sort of scale. That's heavy stuff to be setting and lifting so you would need some help. It would depend on just how large you are talking and whether it would be attached to your house or freestanding. Attached to your house you can scale back on materials as the structure of the house would help support it.

Three words that are your friend: Plumb, level and square. As long as you attain those and use appropriate materials, you should be fine.

• marcinde
    15 years ago

You can do anything, just depends how much you want to spend!

Since you're in MA, contact the folks at Trells Structures (link below). They've been pretty reasonable for us- on some projects, it actually made more sense to have them build the arbor or trellis in MA and ship it to VA, than to have our in-house carpenters do it all.

If you want really big, clear beam spans without paying an arm and a leg you could look into powder-coated aluminum pergolae. I don't have a source for that, all that info is at my old place of employment, but I think the company name starts with a 'B'- Ballantine, Ballintrade? I don't know, but Google will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Structures

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Baldwin Pergolas in CT has some really nice ones, maybe that's what you're thinking of? So do Finehouse
    http://www.finehouse.net/
    and Walpole Woodworkers
    http://www.walpolewoodworkers.com/
    but you'll pay a hefty price.

There was a nice post here a while back about a DIY pergola, I recall it was made of Hemlock and posted by Chelone, but the photos aren't there anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldwin

• marcinde
    15 years ago

Nope, that wasn't it. I think I found the company in the link below, and they pointed me to a local supplier (B-whatever, for me).

I did a lot of those in AZ. They're actually not bad looking, and because they're aluminum you can actually do some pretty decent spans. Obviously, those kind of decisions are best left to a pro, but it probably wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to have a pergola professionally designed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Pergola & Lattice Folks

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

marcinde - I liked the ones in the link. The photo gallery shows them all as just plain structures. Does anyone ever actually grow plants on them or are they just used as architectural features on their own?

• marcinde
    15 years ago

The aluminum ones? I used them in AZ when I worked out there, so yeah- definitely grew bougainvillea over some of the pergola/ patio covers. I can look and see if I have any photos, but I'm not optimistic- that was a while ago!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I think a pergola would work.

For shade that is not overwhelming, I really like those sail type shade canopies. They can be post mounted, so you're not building a huge structure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Sails

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

My pergola isn't quite finished yet (newish yard) but I mine is 14' x 14' from rafter tip to rafter tip. The space between the posts is about 11-feet of clear space. We love it. It's not too big at all.

The BIG mistake people make visually when building a pergola is to undersize the wood in order to save $$$. Even if smaller members would be structurally sound, it won't look right- the top will look like it's going to collapse down on the bottom. For a larger pergola, you need to use at least 6 x 6 posts.

Here's a pic of ours under construction.
    {{gwi:41797}}

• get_creative
    15 years ago

Design-wise -- just make sure your pergola isn't too large compared to your house and the surrounding garden. Plan your space well -- the size and placement -- and you'll be glad you took the time.

Great pictures!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gottagarden - that's a fabulous structure your DH built! Has he built anything like that for where you are now? If so, I'd like to see a picture... Is he a professional carpenter of some sort of just a very talented amateur?

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

gottagarden I LOVE your pergola! what a shame you had to leave it. I think it's the prettiest, cosiest pergola Ive ever seen! I live in a similar climate to California and we built a large one and put shadecloth on top as well but mine is lacking the cosy enclosed feeling yours has. thanks for posting it, Im going to have to use your pic as inspiration to do something about mine to make it more comfy looking. you have a very clever husband!

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Another simple, but elegant design is a plain lattice-roofed ramada. They are quite common here in the west coast. Here are a couple of pictures of our own ramada. It provides broken shade all throughout the day, and if you would like, you could also add lattice walls on the west end to shade when the sun is low on the horizon. Our's has a double layer of lattices on the roof for more shade. Our's is 30'x12'

{{gwi:41789}}
    {{gwi:41791}}

{{gwi:41792}}

{{gwi:41013}}

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

woodyoak - He's going to build me a 50 foot arbor and gazebo next year. So far he's built me a kids playhouse/future toolshed.

He is an amateur woodworker and this was the first thing he ever built. He bought a table saw for this so he could get straight cuts, and a router to soften the edges. That and a skill saw were the only tools he used. I designed it and he built it. He just got a bunch of books from the library on woodworking, then went at it! He is a good reader and doer. (did a first stone wall, ceramic tile, etc. after just reading a book on it.) I know I'm lucky!

• lsimms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holy Cow!

I sure pushed a button, woo hoo.

What gorgeous pics and great advice! Thanks.

I'm kind of hampered by the perfect and simple architecture of my Victorian house.

I'd need to put this shady monstrosity in my side yard.

I think my garden is cooked.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

• scraplolly
    15 years ago

What a great house!
    Where is the pergola to go?