Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steep rock bank

Posted by forrest-2010 Washington (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 20:18

I am in the process of putting rock on a steep bank with about 60 - 70 degress slope. I going to be using 2"-4" basalt chip on the bank. My question is this ---I would like to put down landscape fabric prior to putting rock on the slope. But I am very worried the landscape fabric may "slip" and slide tons of rock back down the slope (approx 100 tons of rock). Would it be best to not use the landscape fabric so the rock can "bite" into the slope better? The fabric would help prevent weeds from growing which is what I am trying to prevent. Any thought on this would be helpful as I dont know which way to go. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steep rock bank

Time out! Lead us through your thought process. You have a steep slope. How wide? How high? Is it eroding? What is the soil type? Sand, clay, filled with rocks? It sounds as though you need to stabilize the slope and never want to deal with weed growth. This is not possible either with or without landscape fabric as those pesky weed seeds grow through it easily and in either case you will need to use Round-Up on as needed basis. Yes, the fabric will not allow the rock to 'bite' into the soil on such a steep bank. Is this perhaps a situation where a retaining wall might be the better solution? There may be some ideas forthcoming with additional details.

o
RE: Steep rock bank

Forrest,

I agree with nandina inquiring minds want to know.

The maximum slope for a residential is 2' horizontal for every 1' of vertical height. This is called out in your local grading ordinances. Am I understanding you have a steeper slope than that? If that is so then the rock and soil over a 2:1 slope will erode by its own weight and may cause damage below the slope(neighbor?). If it is a natural slope that exists on you property alone I would cut the slope back to 2:1 and plant ground-cover not rock. Rock will not help the erosion and will make it worse. You may want to plant ground-cover through burlap or jute matting to help temporarily with erosion before the ground cover takes hold and spreads. JMHO. Aloha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here