Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drain pipe connection

Posted by abufish z10 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 20:48

So we want to take care of one of our side yards' drainage issue. It's very straight forward. The side yard has nothing but gravel, we just need to run a solid pipe from downspout to front yard trench.

I plan to use this pipe:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-3-in-x-10-ft-Drain-Pipe-Solid-3550010/100185642#.UdoKl0BwofU

Also need a couple of couplings and Tees.

The person at homedepot said these pipes can not be glued, that I can use PVC tapes to wrap them after I fit everything together. Is this true? I watched several Youtube videos with people using corrugated black pipe they kind of just snap it in.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drain pipe connection

Your plan sounds simple enough, but there can be complications to drainage depending on the details, of which you do not offer many. Even if you're draining a single downspout, a 3" pipe will probably not be sufficient to handle a heavy rain. Can it be presumed that the intended run is downhill 100% of the way ... even at the end? If the outfall end will be buried in gravel, it will slow water trying to empty out of the pipe. I would avoid the corrugated black plastic. Because it can't be glued together, roots love to grow inside of it.

o

Thank you for your reply! Yes it is downhill 100% of the way and hang over a little ditch in the end. There's actually a rain barrel connected to the downspout so the water is reduced as well.

What would be the best method to connect these pipes to fittings? glue? or tape? Thank you !

o

We temporarily installed a 4 inch solid pvc to divert rainwater from a downspout until we can afford to regrade the sideyard and install a dry creek bed. We just dry fit the unions between the two pipes and made sure of the slope to send the water to the driveway. It's above ground and coyote ugly but my spare room is no longer flooding.

o

I've not seen that black plastic tape used on drainage pipe anywhere outside of California, but when I was working there we used it all the time with no callbacks. If that's still the preferred method, I say go for it. And be grateful you can get it, because that stuff is the BEST for strapping a load of pipe or 2x4s for transport.

o

that type of pipe interlocks together. If you're pulling on the pipe you can use the black tape, otherwise this pipe connects together effectively.

o

Thank you all responders! I think I will go ahead and use the tape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here