Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Vines

Posted by taxtax none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 21:43

I planted some pumpkins this year as an experiment. They worked well, but like other's have warned, their vines can get very big & long. My problem is they are spilling all over my lawn and I felt pretty guilty today while mowing the lawn, as I kept trimming off the ends of the vines despite trying my best not to.

I'm wondering, would it make any sense to tie these pumpkin vines up to a trellis or something? I know that wouldn't be their natural form, so I don't know if it would do just as much harm...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Vines

You might want to post this in the Pumpkins, Squash & Gourds forum, or the Vegetables forum.

Sure, you can try them on a trellis: maximizing the number of leaves on the vine is always good. If the variety bears
small fruit, you could try letting them hang from the trellis, watching carefully. Or you could play it safe and support the fruit in a sturdy sling hanging from the trellis. I believe I've read about cantaloupes hanging from slings. But larger pumpkins ... I'd want to keep the fruit on the ground.

Another possibility would be re-arranging the vines whenever they crawl onto the lawn.

Disclaimer: while I've grown pumpkins, I've never grown any on a trellis. However, I've grown many a cucumber on a trellis, and also some smallish gourds.

o

Ok, thanks. This is the problem with too many sub-forms, you get lost on where to post!

Only problem is I haven't ever used a trellis before, so I'll be doing something new all over again, haha.

I'll re-post in the proper section.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 23:49

You are now discovering that sprawling vines and a mowed lawn are incompatible. What will you discover when you tie the vines up a trellis and the vines begin to fruit?

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 8:14

Sir Issaac Newton stopped growing pumpkins on trellises a long time ago.

o

...when he discovered it wasn't the falling; it was the hard landing.

Small vine varieties are fine for trellises, but the Jack-O-Lantern types would probably find any fruit snapping off at the stems for their sheer weight. Without the aforementioned sturdy slings, anyway.

o

Does your garden plot lend itself to your coaxing the vine to grow in circles around it? Sort of like a bad middle-aged hair day. You might not be able to keep multiple vines, but train one or 2. That way you have some scraggly lawn, but just in the perimeter of the veggie garden, & can maybe hand trim a little. Next year, try a different experiment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here