Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dillema with my retaining wall

Posted by Barkyard none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 22:09

Over a year ago we had a new yard put in, but the new yard is about 6 inches lower than the old one was. This created a problem as we now have dirt and tarp exposed below the retaining wall that we've always had. I was hoping someone could offer advice on what to do to cover up the tarp.

At first we were considering moving the wall a foot forward but that would be too much labor, as the wall is over 100 feet long. Another idea was to install a smaller wall in front of the current one, and have a small garden bed running the length of the wall, in sort of a step design, lower level in front of the upper level.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I am hoping to avoid installing another wall as I'm hoping there is a fix to this that will be a little bit cheaper. Thanks ahead of time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dillema with my retaining wall

Of all the retaining walls I've seen, I've never seen one with a tarp at the base. Could you explain the purpose of it?... and the construction method so we'd know what we're dealing with? Who built the wall and how long has it been there? What is the material? Does it have a footing? How deep? It it dry laid? Are you looking for the real fix... or a fix that might get by for 5 years?

o
RE: Dillema with my retaining wall

As Yardvaark asked, long or short term?

In the short term, you could plant a flower border in the front. With the mulch already in place, it shouldn't be too much of a bother and should look cute.

In the long term, this needs to be fixed. Though you are low by at least 6" (base should at least be partially buried), can you bring in many tons of dirt into the yard. You would have to ensure you have the minimum slope away from your house and patio. If you have a sprinkler system already in place, you'd have to extend each riser.

Another option would be to redo the wall and start over. It crappy when things aren't done correctly but when it comes to homeownership we've seen a lot of things we just shake our head and get out the tools.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here