Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking a new White Pine necessary?

Posted by ruthie51 New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 22:12

We recently had two white pine evergreen trees planted behind our house. The workers who planted the trees staked both of them. I've read that staking evergreens is not recommended unless the tree is more than 8' tall and/or the conditions are overly windy. In fact what I read said that the trees will grow stronger without being staked. We live inland in central NJ where it's not particularly windy except during the occasional strong thunderstorm. The pines are approximately 7' tall. Would you recommend removing the stakes or should they remain? Thank you for your assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking a new White Pine necessary?

I seldom stake trees because I plant small ones. I plant them, remove that scrawny nursery stake and if it's standing straight up, I leave it alone.

And yes, they do develop better trunks if they can flex.

1 - Leave the stakes alone for now.

2- Remove the ties while someone is holding the trunk just above the ties.

3 - Slide your hand down the trunk until the trunk starts to flop over for lack of support.

4 - Obviously, if your hand reaches the ground and the tree is still upright, there is no need for staking and ties.

5 - If the tree starts to flex and flop over, re-tie it to the stakes 6-12 inches above where your hand was when it started flopping. Tie it loosely so the trunk can sway a bit in the breeze.

6 - RECHECK every month to see if you can lower the ties or remove them completely.

I use stretchy ties made from old panty hose so the tree can move in the wind, which stimulates trunk growth. I also make checking and removing ties a regular part of yard work when I have small trees. That and pruning them to establish a good shape early.

o

Hi lazygardens- Thank you for your excellent advice. We're going to follow your instructions today.

o

I would agree... staking is only needed if the rootball mass is not sufficient to keep the tree erect and prevent tilting over in the wind.

o

We did as lazygardens instructed and the trees were fine, no problems remaining totally upright, so we removed the stakes altogether. Thanks, Isabella for confirming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here