Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libratravel_gw

Need to improve my border

libratravel
9 years ago

One year ago, we bought this house which shares a border with the entrance to a golf course. We seek privacy, some winter interest / evergreens, and some height. Each of the shrubs along this border ( currently wiegela, viburnums, forsythia and lilacs.. Among others) are generally 6-8 feet tall. We added a veggie garden which has provided some barrier but the work is not complete. This area is currently full sun- FYI. This photo was taken from the golf course property.

Thoughts about enriching that border...
1) I want to create more of a mixed border... Perhaps 3-4 hinoki cypresses along the golf course side of the garden for added privacy. Thoughts? Deer are an issue.
2) I want to add an ornamental tree... Thinking either a forest pansy redbud or a dogwood with three shamrock holly underneath. For the height and the winter interest.
3) would like to add some shade down the line. We are inundated with pm sun... Would like to add either a maple or honey locust somewhere on that side of the backyard... For eventual shade. Thoughts?