Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert landscape ideas

Posted by sweetser none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 23:29

Hi,

My wife and I want to spruce up our front area. We want to do a desert landscaping, but keep as much as possible to reduce costs. We already have ocotillo planted, and it is doing well. Ideas would be appreciated for plants and arrangement.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert landscape ideas

my some ideas:
Photobucket

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 11:19

Could you show a photo of the entire front house and yard? Good landscaping design doesn't smoosh everything up against the house.

General comments: Weed abatement first and foremost. Then install your drip irrigation to fit your plan. Lay landscape fabric, and top with rock (after plant installation). Use different sizes and colors to simulate, for example, a dry stream bed. In streams, stones are rounded; more angular stones are used outside the "stream". Possibly add a few larger rocks or small boulders for sculptural accents. If you can sculpt some slight relief into your garden, the gentle hills and valleys will also add interest. With your plants, you'll want a range of heights and shapes to work with, and different leaf sizes and colors. Contrasts make a garden more interesting.

I can't make out the ocotillo in your photos, but that will be one of your larger plants, very tall and spreading.

o

Yes: where is the ocotillo planted? And what type of ocotillo is it? (I'm not knowledgeable about them, but the only types I know will get both tall and wide -- and have orangey-red flowers....)

o

That Bermuda grass has to be killed before you can do anything to that house.

Here's how:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/52156/how_to_kill_bermuda_grass.html

While you are killing the bermuda, take the opportunity to draw up a site plan, evaluate your watering system (or figure out the cost of a new one), and visit some of the exhibition gardens of xeriscape plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Landscape plan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here