Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pami pebble instead of pea gravel or mulch for kids play area?

Posted by skoo (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 0:27

Has anyone used pami pebble as ground cover for a small area that will be used for a kid's play house or structure? I've seen some posts discussing pea gravel vs. mulch or tanbark, but I can't seem to find anything about whether pami pebble would be suitable?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pami pebble instead of pea gravel or mulch for kids play area

Had to look up pami pebbles, never heard of them.

If kids are just walking around or playing in it I can't see where it would matter. The difference comes if they're potentially jumping or falling into it. There's a table that breaks down the various materials (link below)

Anecdotally, I'm not a fan of pea gravel for kids' play areas. We had a fancypants play area built when I was in elementary school and the flooring material was 5" of pea gravel. One got good at surreptitiously picking it out of one's legs during class post-recess to avoid getting sent to the nurse's office. No kid likes hydrogen peroxide.

Here is a link that might be useful: fall table, more info

o
RE: Pami pebble instead of pea gravel or mulch for kids play area

If there is a fall zone, because the structure is elevated you should have engineered wood fiber mulch as a cushion and the depth of it is based on the height of the fall and the age group. If this is a playhouse sitting on the ground, I'd still recommend the engineered wood fiber mulch or you can get interlocking pervious epdm tiles which are clean, safe, and easy to wash. Peastone of any kind wouldn't be an option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here