Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boldcolors

basement window wells

boldcolors
12 years ago

I'm trying to figure out how to solve my basement window well problem. I have very active grandkids and I'm trying to head off any disasters. DH hates metal bars, plastic cover, etc....just about anything you can find on the internet or bigbox stores to buy for a cover. Likes light to come in thru the windows. My windows are 4'by 4' and the top of the windows are about even with the ground. The "hole" around each one is about 3ft out from the window and curved metal sheets that are holding the earth back are attached to the cement of the foundation on each side of the windows. The windows face east and get the morning sun.

I've thought of barberry shrubs (thorns), short fencing curved around it, and building up the curved area with interlocking cinder blocks which would block a lot of the light. My soil is amended clay and I'm at about 6,000ft. Harsh winters with occasional snow cover, bitter cold wind and lots of sunshine (go figure). Just to make this interesting, I'd like to have access to clean out the wells and of course they need to be used for a fire escape, too!

I'd love to hear your ideas ....thanks in advance for your time.

Boldcolors

PS DH is a real 'wood' man ....whittles and such.I believed he'd go for homemade wood covers if they let lots of light in and weren't too heavy (fire escape). Also the covers don't need to hold the weight of an adult or teenager...just 12 and under.

Comments (4)