Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to add to perenial lily garden

Posted by AAMW DE (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 0:46

I have a garden in front of a traditional porch that is about 4 feet deep and 12 feet wide. It is full of perennial lilies and has a holly tree at the end. In the spring, it is gorgeous with several lily varieties and color. Now that we are in August, though, it is just green. I would like to be able to add perennials between the lilies that would bring color in August and into September. There would have to be enough height to pair well with the lily plants.

The soil is sandy, well-mulched, and has almost daily irrigation. We are in southern DE, about 2 miles from the coast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to add to perenial lily garden

Do you mean daylilies or Asian/Oriental lilies? So you're looking for something tall and narrow, not rounded? I have a few suggestions, but they don't require daily irrigation, but neither do lilies.

If you're looking for height, I'd suggest coneflowers. They can be deadheaded and they'll keep blooming. Kim's Knee-high is my best bloomer. Magnus is another good pink one.

Rozanne geranium is good for the front of your lilies. It blooms all summer and the flowers will weave through the lily foliage.

If these are Asian lilies, I'd suggest rounded shapes like Zagreb coreopsis. It's a good yellow that looks great with most color lilies.

o
RE: what to add to perenial lily garden

how about cone flowers and black eyed susan, they will fill in for weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here